Water Dowsing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
At the old PDMHS museum in Matlock they had a chunk of galena on the floor and some dowsing rods , the torque I felt was remarkable for something I know doesn't exist.

Tin Pot

Guru
At the old PDMHS museum in Matlock they had a chunk of galena on the floor and some dowsing rods , the torque I felt was remarkable for something I know doesn't exist.

Just one more reminder that our senses and assumptions cannot be trusted.

Added to the list of ouija boards, Derren Brown, hynpnotic trance, and so on.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No, repeatedly no.

The temptation is to dismiss ideas that have no supporting evidence.

That temptation is good and true.

No, you aren’t.

You are rejecting scientific method of analysing the world and choosing to...

...Instead.

Come on, I know it's good knockabout stuff but both you and I know I am not rejecting the scientific method. I am willing to accept that our understanding of science is not total and complete and thus maybe there is an explanation other than just dismissing it as bollocks dreamed up by suggestible people

Next week we can get onto lizard people and shape shifting cos I know that's real

Tin Pot

Guru
Come on, I know it's good knockabout stuff but both you and I know I am not rejecting the scientific method. I am willing to accept that our understanding of science is not total and complete and thus maybe there is an explanation other than just dismissing it as bollocks dreamed up by suggestible people

Next week we can get onto lizard people and shape shifting cos I know that's real

I truly do not believe you are thinking this through.

The first step to the dark side is to say “yes yes yes, but maybe the science will prove it later”.

The science has been done. There is nothing to support dowsing. It is to be rejected until such time as scientific endeavour proves otherwise.

That. Is. The. Whole. farking. Point. Of. Science.

swansonj

Guru
I truly do not believe you are thinking this through.

The first step to the dark side is to say “yes yes yes, but maybe the science will prove it later”.

The science has been done. There is nothing to support dowsing. It is to be rejected until such time as scientific endeavour proves otherwise.

That. Is. The. Whole. farking. Point. Of. Science.
Wrong.

The first step to the dark side is for any scientist to approach any experiment ever thinking "I already know what the answer is".

I already posted a story about Sandy Woodward and submarines. You should also read about the Mpemba effect.

Tin Pot

Guru
The first step to the dark side is for any scientist to approach any experiment ever thinking "I already know what the answer is".

You already know dowsing works, if only those damn experiments could prove it.

Never mind, you know you’re right.

Ps the Age of Reason was two hundred years ago.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
While I'm sceptical about dowsing, I am open-minded and interested in the experience you have had. My questions weren't meant as a challenge to your experience but for clarification of the circumstances. If the people involved were present at, or aware of, the tests and outcomes, that might explain the 8/10 result.

It wasn't my intention to cast doubt on your account of what happened.

I was several points beyond mere scepticisim - until I had a go. I was flaberbgasted and as mentioned above, i've seen other sceptics dropping their rods in fright. It really can be that convincing

Last edited:
The first time I experimented with dowsing rods was whilst I was working in a bodyshop. I think it was during our dinner break and we were just whiling away the time. I remembered my brother saying that his friend had used some bent metal rods that worked. I bent 2 one sixteenth welding rods at right angles and placed them over the index finger and between the next finger on each hand so that they could move freely. I held both arms out in front of me at waist height trying to keep the rods parallel whilst I walked forward. After a few paces the rods started to move and eventually crossed and as I walked forward they returned to being parallel. I walked backwards and the movement was repeated in the same spot. I repeated the test in other parts of the workshop and had similar results, I also discovered places where the rods seemed to repel against one another.
I played around with some rods in my house some time later with similar results. I wasn't aware that I was looking for anything, I was just playing but there actual movement.

Top Bottom