Water fountains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Went for a 80km ride last weekend. Normally 2 water bottles are enough for rides of this length but last weekend was sunny and warm and I sweated more than usual.

In normal circumstances it wouldn't be a problem as I'd do a coffee stop and, if I was running low, I'd ask for a water bottle to be refilled.

But now that everywhere is pretty much closed, is there any sort of online resource or any other way to find out if a town/village has got drinking water fountains?

vickster

Legendary Member
Even if it has, you may find it cordoned off (like the one in Kingston), so I wouldn't rely on getting water. Shops and petrol stations are open to buy from

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cemeteries also.

But if you see someone out watering their garden or cleaning their car, why not just ask for a fill up from the hosepipe?

Jody

Stubborn git
why not just ask for a fill up from the hosepipe?

xx(

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cemeteries also.

But if you see someone out watering their garden or cleaning their car, why not just ask for a fill up from the hosepipe?
Well, hosepipes are a reservoir of stagnant water for 99.9% of their lifetimexx(
I guess you'd probably be okay if you ran the hose for a minute or so.

But a tap sounds a better option.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cemeteries also.

I would ask for a refill but not from the hosepipe. You have no idea where the end of it has been recently. Most people are cooperative and the only place I was refused was a filling station and garage on Skye a few years ago.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Bear Grylls would fill the bottle himself, or ask Michelle Rodriguez to top it up.
Somehow there's a dead mouse in there too.

You know, that hosepipe sounds pretty good now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er, no, you could always place your bottle on the ground and step away while they filled it.

As for using a hose, after you've run out the tepid water ours gives out lovely cold fresh water straight from the main. In fact a couple of years ago one hot day we sat on the wall and refilled bottles for a couple of hundred walkers from the Long-Distance Walkers' Association who passed by very hot and tired. Next day we were thanked on their social meejia thingy and there wasn't single mention of a dodgy tummy.

Top Bottom