Water from behind Mastic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Are you sure there is no gap between the render and the frame? Years ago I had a similar problem with an upstairs window and capillary action through a tiny gap was the cause.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Are you sure there is no gap between the render and the frame? Years ago I had a similar problem with an upstairs window and capillary action through a tiny gap was the cause.
Found a gap and loose render on upstairs Window. Not sure if it’s the cause. Developer is a local builder and real A-hole. Controlling, arrogant & argumentative. A real joy to deal with

OP
OP
T

Tripster

You will have more than likely found the exit hole.

The house would probably hold a NHBC Certificate or equivalent I guess
LABC but worthless. The builder is an arse of a man. LABC do nothing only play a go between.
So you think the dripping is the exit hole and somewhere around upstairs window is where water is getting in ? Unless I can find it and prove it, they will no nothing

LABC but worthless. The builder is an arse of a man. LABC do nothing only play a go between.
So you think the dripping is the exit hole and somewhere around upstairs window is where water is getting in ? Unless I can find it and prove it, they will no nothing
I would say its coming from above yes.

From what you have described Its the only only Place. It must be coming in at a alarming rate to show through the header above the ground floor window.

newts

Veteran
There should be weep vents in front face of the render along the lintol at 450mm centres (when the underside of the lintel is rendered as in this case)? It may just expected moisture in the outer leaf of the wall requires a proper escape route i.e. weep vents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tripster

That lintel looks as if it’s sagging
Does it ? Had a few red wines so best check in the morning rather than now :blush:

the snail

Guru
Another possibility is that water is running down the face of the wall then back under the head of the opening - traditionally you would have a bellcast over the opening so that water would drip off rather than running back onto the window. Are you getting leaks on the inside of the window?

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Another possibility is that water is running down the face of the wall then back under the head of the opening - traditionally you would have a bellcast over the opening so that water would drip off rather than running back onto the window. Are you getting leaks on the inside of the window?
No leaks on the inside. Been try here for a while so walls are dry, no water running down. Will have another good look today

There should be weep vents in front face of the render along the lintol at 450mm centres (when the underside of the lintel is rendered as in this case)? It may just expected moisture in the outer leaf of the wall requires a proper escape route i.e. weep vents.
Its a timber framed structure weep holes are only used on masonry buildings

OP
OP
T

Tripster

So after the seriously heavy rain yesterday the water dripping has begun again, took 4 dry days to stop before,
No obvious signs of a hole or water getting in from bedroom window above.
Contacted arse builder and he said first two year warranty ended that same day so go to LABC and don’t contact us from now on for anything:sad:
LABC are terribly slow to respond, take months to investigate a claim and £1000 excess on a claim so basically worthless. They also say that we are liable for any further damage if we fail to make good anything prior to outcome of the claim
Im thinking of having it investigated independently but don’t know if I need a builder or speak to the company that did the rendering with warranty. It’s not the rendering though I guess....
Any advice most welcome.

Gunk

Guru
I would speak to trading standards, if you can prove it was like that when you bought the house new, you could argue under the sale of goods act that it was not in “merchantable” condition when it was handed over.

Top Bottom