Water pooling under bottom bracket horror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I came downstairs earlier to find a 4" diameter pool of water underneath the bottom bracket of the new bike :blink:

Instantly my mind started racing to all manner of questions and dire scenarios... the bike hadn't been out in the wet but was (carefully) washed over a week ago; raising images of my mind of fap knows how much water sloshing around inside my frame, merrily corroding everything it came into contact with.

Why take so long to finally make its way out of the frame though? I removed the (nearly full) water bottle and inspected it for damage, finding nothing.

I unscrewed the retaining bolt for the cable guide on the underside of the frame expecting a torrent of water, but found nothing other than some pristine grease. I pulled out the seatpost and inspected inside the frame; finding nothing really other than a bit of light surface corrosion below the lower edge of the seatpost.

I took the bike outside and left it in the sun with the seatpost assy removed in an effort to dry it out. Bizarrely water began accumulating beneath the BB again..

I again removed the (nearly full) water bottle just to be sure; to find a small trail of water leading down the outside of the down-tube to the bottom bracket.. turns out that the lid wasn't properly fitted to my bottle (probably as a result of it falling out of my bag - again- yesterday since I can only carry one bottle on the bike currently) - this was evidently enough to allow a small amount of water to seep out at the join.

Feelings of muppetry greatly eclipsed by the reassurance that I've not just potentially ruined my new frame by filling it with water for a week, although it's raised the inevitable questions about interal rust proofing; so something else to worry about..

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
That reminds me - I might pop into the local gas station and give my bike another coat of wax.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

That reminds me - I might pop into the local gas station and give my bike another coat of wax.
Exterior? Mine's already been Carnauba'd; it's the inside that worries me now. I do have a load of top-end Bilt-Hamber vehicle rust-proofing somewhere in the shed, but would need a suitable application device to get it inside the tubes as only the seat tube is really accessible.

Sadly I no longer have any use for it since I was forced to grow up and drive a sensible, boring car :sad:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Never go outside without this, and apply this to every tube. Sorted.
lol - looking at the weather forecast I think the poncho's a good shout; although I hate to think what effect that expanding foam would have in terms of capillary action / water retention :blink:

CXRAndy

Guru
I came downstairs earlier to find a 4" diameter pool of water underneath the bottom bracket of the new bike :blink:

Instantly my mind started racing to all manner of questions and dire scenarios... the bike hadn't been out in the wet but was (carefully) washed over a week ago; raising images of my mind of fap knows how much water sloshing around inside my frame, merrily corroding everything it came into contact with.

Why take so long to finally make its way out of the frame though? I removed the (nearly full) water bottle and inspected it for damage, finding nothing.

I unscrewed the retaining bolt for the cable guide on the underside of the frame expecting a torrent of water, but nothing other than some pristine grease. I pulled out the seatpost and inspected inside the frame; finding nothing really other than a bit of light surface corrosion below the lower edge of the seatpost.

I took the bike outside and left it in the sun with the seatpost assy removed in an effort to dry it out. Bizarrely water began accumulating beneath the BB again..

I removed the (nearly full) water bottle just to be sure; to find a small trail of water leading down the outside of the down-tube to the bottom bracket.. turns out that the lid wasn't properly fitted to my bottle (probably as a result of it falling out of my bag - again- yesterday since I can only carry one bottle on the bike currently) - this was evidently enough to allow a small amount of water to seep out at the join.

Feelings of muppetry greatly eclipsed by the reassurance that I've not just potentially ruined my new frame by filling it with water for a week, although it's raised the inevitable questions about interal rust proofing; so something else to worry about..
Dinitrol or wax oil. Spray it into all tubes. Use on a hot day so flows well into all crevices. You can get spray nozzles to coat all areas

Moodyman

Legendary Member
lol - looking at the weather forecast I think the poncho's a good shout; although I hate to think what effect that expanding foam would have in terms of capillary action / water retention :blink:

The pockets of air in the foam would create a balloon-like effect. So, when you're really giving it some welly, it'll rise off the ground and you will float ET style.

Whatever happened to drain holes in the bottom bracket?

Top Bottom