water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddypete

when i started back on the bike after 25 miles i cramped up,i drank all my water on the way out so i now take 2 bottles,1 out 1 in,i recon you will drink about a litre every 10 miles in a hot day,20 miles in a cool day

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I rode 30 fastish miles in a very cold central London last night and drank about 500mls.
On a typical Sunday morning 40 miler maybe a whole 750 ml bottle but not always that much.

1L/10 miles sound like nuts to me and on a cold day you'll drink much the same as on a hot day.

Cramp is primarily due to a lack of fitness.

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

I rode 30 fastish miles in a very cold central London last night and drank about 500mls.
On a typical Sunday morning 40 miler maybe a whole 750 ml bottle but not always that much.

1L/10 miles sound like nuts to me and on a cold day you'll drink much the same as on a hot day.

sound ,ill work on that aswell

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

yes,your right,but trying to find my needs ,at this time,all wisdom is most welcome

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Try drinking a decent amount before you go out, I can normally drink about a litre before I go out, and it helps to keep you hydrated for the first part of your ride, works for me. This sort of weather I barely touch a drop in 30 miles, in hot summer I could drink the sea dry :cuppa:

howdenbiker

I drink very little this time of year, a sip in 30 miles, I think the thought of trying to fight my way out of bib shorts etc keeps thirst at bay!!

DRHysted

Guru
I am appaling at remembering to drink until I'm thirsty (which is too late). So I've set the Garmin to alert every 20 minutes to remind me to take a sip. Normal weather one bottle for anything up to 2 hours, 2 or more if over 2 hours. 20c to 30c and it's 2 bottles for anything over 1.5 hours. I ran out of liquid on a ride a few years back (temp was over 30c) so I like to take more than I think I'd need just in case.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
As FF said, it's more than likely down to overuse and/or lack of fitness. Don't be reaching for the high5/Nuun or salt shaker just yet..

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm always surprised when I read what most on here drink. Unless it's mid summer and very warm I very rarely even carry a drink, and even then, only if I'm planning on doing a decent distance.

I program an alarm to remind me to drink every 30 minutes of cycling time when out. It helps considerable. As for the volume, well everyone is different and on an all day ride I can drink anything from 1.5L to well in seriously hot weather well over 4-5L because I personally cope with cold weather better than hot weather and I sweat a lot!

Cramp can happen from all sorts of things. Pushing yourself to hard before you have warmed up properly, so cycling really hard from the word go; a mineral imbalance; lack of fitness; and sometimes just getting cold. This is not an exhaustive list, just an idea.

sannesley

Out on Friday and I did 27.5 miles with not a drop touched. A bit like howdenbiker I always have the thought of trying to hurriedly wrestle out of my bib tights if I drink too much!!.

I do carry one bottle of weak diluting juice at this time of year, although on Friday a flask of tea would have been more welcome. In the warmer weather I add a little salt to the juice to replace electrolytes lost through sweating

Top Bottom