Waterproof Bike Basket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Baskets are rubbish, really.
I'm all for N+1, but what you are envisaging is not feasible in our British weather, you'll get to work looking like a drowned poodle more often than not.
Can you not just ride slower?
If I had to take a 40 min shower every time I ride 10 miles up the road I'd have no skin left :laugh:

I cant seem to ride slower, genuinely, when I'm dressed in sports gear on a road bike, I just cant seem to take my time...its all go!

Its not really a 40 minute shower ( that sounds very suspicious!) but its a good 15, then there is a huge amount of faffing, with drying, changing, collecting clothes form one place, towels from another. it all takes me about 40 minutes, 30 in the winter when its cooler (in the summer the shower is like a sauna and you need to take things easy or you end up needing another shower.

on the rain front then yes I would need to change if it rained and I suspect the weather is the clincher really as perhaps I shall just ride the scooter in the rain.that way I don't need to worry about the basket thing.

what is now more worrying are comments from owners who suggest that these bikes are not practical for a longer commute

simon.r

Person
what is now more worrying are comments from owners who suggest that these bikes are not practical for a longer commute

I suspect there's a significant weight difference between a Pashley Sovereign at one extreme and an aluminium framed, step thru' Dutch bike with alloy components at the other. Don't get me wrong, a 12 mile commute would be doable on the Pashley (I've ridden it further than that in one go), but, IMO, it would be had work and defeat the object of having a gentle pootle into work. But then, I'm not you of course! You may consider it an absolute breeze.

I bought a cheap old Pashley to try before I bought the new one. I really liked the old one (for my sub 5 mile trips) so I treated myself to a new model. I sold the old one for more or less the same as I paid for it. Maybe that's an option you could consider?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ah, well, some people can't seem to ride slower, genuinely, even when they're on a roadster ;) and some roadster owners really do regard it as a short-range bike... but hey, I'm mostly in Norfolk and everything's a long way apart out here. The bike's fine over distance. It's not as fast as a road bike but I think it's more comfortable.

As well as it being my go-to utility bike, I've ridden the Dutchie Dapper on various long rides and I think one century... and the bath after the century was mainly to soothe the muscles, not because I got sweaty. I almost always ride in street clothes (usually shirt, chinos and deck shoes - add jumper, jacket and/or more watertight shoes in winter), although only formal when cycling to certain types of work site. I would leave the jacket at work (or find a way to carry it neatly) and wear a more outdoorsy jacket for the ride.

I think it depends on the route and it might be hard to know for sure until you try. Where one tends to pay a penalty with heavier bikes with wide-spaced gears is in speeding up again after slowing for junctions, lights or climbs. Once it's ticking along in top (literally, in the case of three-speed bikes) then it's not a difficult task to just keep it cruising. You're sensible to plan on a 10mph average - on some London routes, I've been as slow as 6mph because of all the flipping lights.

If you want to hedge bets and go for a lightweight roadster, I really like the look of https://www.flyingdutchman.bike/our-bikes/gazelle-vanstael-men/ - but me, mostly riding in the flatlands, I value the Dapper's stupidly-sturdy rear rack more.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect there's a significant weight difference between a Pashley Sovereign at one extreme and an aluminium framed, step thru' Dutch bike with alloy components at the other.
There's a weight range, but step-throughs tend to be heavier and the aluminium framed ones seem to be mid-range. The heaviest (Pashley Sovereign at 22.5kg IIRC) and lightest (Gazelle Van Stael at 13.5kg) that I've seen are both steel. My own two are around 16kg... not that it matters with the amount I often add!

I bought a cheap old Pashley to try before I bought the new one. I really liked the old one (for my sub 5 mile trips) so I treated myself to a new model. I sold the old one for more or less the same as I paid for it. Maybe that's an option you could consider?
Similar here: I was so unsure because of all the flack that "sit up and beg" bikes get that I bought a really cheap old gas-pipe Universal Riviera Sport to see if a three-speed roadster was any good... and it was better than the best I imagined, so I bought the Dapper because that was cheaper and far simpler than all the upgrades I wanted to make. :laugh: I did a load of fixing to the Riviera, far more than it really merited, some of which are described in some threads in Classic and Vintage (it's classic, not vintage). It still gets used to test out random ideas, even now.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Does that mount on the bars or rear rack?
I like the look of it.
I have flowery basil panniers for my hybrid, but it's out on loan, and they don't work the same on the 29er.
It mounts on the bars. It's quite roomy too and has two strong straps for when carrying it.

Top Bottom