Waterproof go pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Off on holiday soon which will involve some snorkelling and someone suggested getting a go pro to film the pretty fishies :smile:

I might then use it on the bike when I get back

However, it's a very confusing product range. I don't need to spend a fortune, don't need super duper quality but I'd like something that's going to work as needed. I realise that they don't have the best battery life but I don't think that'll matter too much

Needs to be simple to use for a non gadget person (me)!

The Hero 7 looks like a good option. It's not 4K whatever that might mean in reality. I don't have a 4K telly so presumably I don't need it in my life!

https://www.johnlewis.com/gopro-hero7-white-camcorder-1440p-full-hd-10mp-wi-fi-waterproof/p3745760

Any other suggestions gratefully received. I'd rather buy new with warranty even if it costs an extra £50 (JL give 2 years and accidental damage for £20)

While I'm at it, can anyone suggest an inexpensive but decent snorkel and mask combo! :biggrin:

Slick

Guru
Admittedly not everyone's cup of tea, but I use the session 5 which is waterproof and loads of attachments for a wide variety of uses.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Why isn’t it everyone’s cup of tea?! What’s up with it?

I don’t want to spend that much on something I’ll likely barely use. I’m hoping that buying a GoPro will maximise resale as I expect it’ll go that way!

Slick

Guru
Thanks. Why isn’t it everyone’s cup of tea?! What’s up with it?

I don’t want to spend that much on something I’ll likely barely use. I’m hoping that buying a GoPro will maximise resale as I expect it’ll go that way!

Not a thing wrong with it in fact in terms of quality you will struggle to get better. Restricted in built battery life isn't brilliant and there are obviously lots of cheaper alternatives but you don't need to 've a Hollywood director to see the difference.

Resale will be really easy, maybe even on here whichever you decide.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. I don’t realky need to spend £350 on a whim. That said, what accessories do you get?

I’m not sure underwater, on a boat or on a bike in traffic, I need movie quality :smile:

Slick

Guru
No, probably not which is fair enough. The accessories are just options for fitting it to various parts of the body or fitment to a bit of sport equipment to allow you a wider choice. Some of them are sold separately but the choice is vast.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. The 7 is said to be waterproof to 10m
Which is more than enough!

Unintuitive doesn’t sound great. I hated the Garmin for that reason!

si_c

Guru
Hero 7 white looks pretty decent, at 1080p30 it looks like it gets around 2.5 hours of recording time - which is loads.

the stupid one

Über Member
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

If you think you're not going to keep it then is it worth buying a GoPro, would you not be better off with one of the clones, you could throw that away & lose less than you would on a GoPro?

subaqua

What’s the point
Have you tried Decathlon?

^_^

It's an old favourite cyclechat answer, but there are these . . . https://www.decathlon.co.uk/easybreath-snorkelling-mask-og-id_8514880.html

I haven't tried one, but most of the reviews are good, and you can get one in black* if you'd like. ;-)

*EDIT: No you can't. What was I thinking?!

they are bog awful.

Decathlon do sell Mares stuff.

I think the OP is from Sarf London so a trip to Amphibian in West Norwood will get you a decent mask and snorkel http://www.amphibian-sports.co.uk/

I have Hero 3 and Hero 4 Go Pros- both work well in the standard underwater cases, yes there are lots of settings but it really doesnt take long to find what you want /need. the gopro software which is free is pretty good fro editing too.
you can pick some proper cheap bargains up on fleabay as sheeples sell for the next model up..

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have a couple of oldish gopros, so I can't advise on latest models. But based on my experience: They are very rugged and water resistant. I've got mine wet and bashed them around. I'm sure they'd be fine submerged but check the instructions.

Downside is they are fiddly and un-intuitive to operate. The menus are confusing. You must practice setting it up for what you want to do and operating it before you go.

I'd agree with this. I have a Hero 4 Session and it's great when it works - picture quality is incredible - but I have never really got on with it and so hardly ever use it. The limited battery life means it's not much use for the kind of very long rides I do anyway.

Top Bottom