Waterproof jacket (none cycling) Paramo or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
In the market for a new waterproof jacket and am looking at Paramo or maybe a Goretex one in another brand.

Is the Nikwax Analogy fabric really so much better than Goretex?

Needs to be long-ish at the back, not too bulky and preferably in black or a dark blue.

Will be used mainly for walking/general outdoor activities, but not cycling.

Any recommendations?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I like my Berghaus Goretex. It's not lined just totally waterproof. It cost £100 in the sale at M&M Direct.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Main contenders in Paramo are

Ciclo Light

ce9c27f766a0486792c511ae0209a5d9.jpg

And the Velez Adventure Light

f9ec7fea0f8c4f8da4422dc929d363c8.jpg

Paramo is far more breathable than goretex, you won't get any condensation.
I have never had a leak but some people report dampness. My old Cuzco will dry off inside a damp tent within 20mins.
Paramo is bulky, pref to be worn not carried and it is warmer than thin waterproofs. My cutoff max temp is 16C.
For 3-season non-summer use, it is hard to beat in terms of performance and durability.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Personally I'd never buy your 2nd option as it doesn't unzip down the front. I overheat quite quickly and need the option to wear it with teh front undone. That may not bother you, but it's worth thinking about before you buy.

Personally I'd never buy your 2nd option as it doesn't unzip down the front. I overheat quite quickly and need the option to wear it with teh front undone. That may not bother you, but it's worth thinking about before you buy.
It unzips along both sides and along the chest pocket for venting.

Drago

Legendary Member
In SAR most of us wear Paramo gear, me included. Keela are fairly popular too, very few of us wear anything else. When you're out for hours in inhospitable weather and your life depends on it then these are the 2 makes most of us reach for. Not for the faint of wallet though.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
That does slightly concern me too, but I will try a few on next week and see how I feel about them.

The one I really like the look of is this one, bit more expensive and not the 'light' version of the fabric which is maybe putting me off a little, but again I don't really know how 'heavy' the normal ones are until I see them in the flesh.
It does have lots more features, and extra pockets, and comes in black too.

c2cb666938d44a8c992d467a82c73620.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've had Goretex and other jackets before, but the Velez adventure light Smock knocks them all into a cocked hat.
It's not like wearing a jacket, it's very comfortable. It breathes better than Gore-tex and the ventilation's great. What's really good is that it has an inherent warmth, so when you've been biking or walking hard in the cold and have to stop for whatever reason you stay warm unlike other shell jackets.
I bought mine primarily for winter cycling but now use it for everything from walking the Whippet to camping and hill walking.
Best piece of outdoor clothing I ever bought bar none.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
How very northern :tongue:

What do you think about the over the head v conventional zip up?
Is it much of a problem?
On the contrary ..... I'm a South Westerner!
I went for the Smock design because it was a smock if that makes sense, I didn't want a full zip front and I think that's why I think it feels less like wearing an outdoor jacket (there's the Parito for that which @User wears on his bike). I also like the big front pocket. It works well on the bike and any other occasion. I don't see a downside yet.

Buck

Guru
That does slightly concern me too, but I will try a few on next week and see how I feel about them.

The one I really like the look of is this one, bit more expensive and not the 'light' version of the fabric which is maybe putting me off a little, but again I don't really know how 'heavy' the normal ones are until I see them in the flesh.
It does have lots more features, and extra pockets, and comes in black too.

c2cb666938d44a8c992d467a82c73620.jpg
That looks like the Alta?

Now the Alta III is out the II has some great deals going.

Just watch the sizes. I normally take a large but it drowns me so ended up with medium. Not too bulky at all either.

Top Bottom