Waterproof jacket (none cycling) Paramo or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a Arc'teryx Theta AR Jacket for about 3 years now, best waterproof I've ever owned. I've worn it sea kayaking, snowboarding, mtb'ing, hiking and just as my about town rain jacket. Still looks new. It's not cheap, but I suspect it'll last me a good decade before I need to replace it.

Theta-AR-Jacket-Twinleaf.png

Nikwax techwash is the recommended soap for Paramo, but liquid soap flakes work well. You can use dry soap flakes , shredded soap bars, the squishy bits of soap if you leave a bar in water. Detergent kills the waterproofing. If you get a paramo covered in oil or heavy dirt, you need to wash it out with detergent (and a bit of swarfega) OR dry cleaning, THEN wash in soap, then reproof.
I have washed and reproofed paramo on long bike tours.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
That looks like the Alta?

Now the Alta III is out the II has some great deals going.

Just watch the sizes. I normally take a large but it drowns me so ended up with medium. Not too bulky at all either.
Yes that is the Alta 3, I have seen somewhere selling it quite a bit cheaper than the rrp but need to be sure of size and suitability before buying online.
Hopefully the Paramo store I will be visiting will have the ones on my list in stock, they do a one off 10% discount when you sign up for a loyalty card so may go down that route to bring the in store price closer to faceless internet shops.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes that is the Alta 3, I have seen somewhere selling it quite a bit cheaper than the rrp but need to be sure of size and suitability before buying online.
Hopefully the Paramo store I will be visiting will have the ones on my list in stock, they do a one off 10% discount when you sign up for a loyalty card so may go down that route to bring the in store price closer to faceless internet shops.
Go Outdoors?

Buck

Guru

Great jacket.

A hiking shop in Grassington was doing these at 10% off RRP, there or thereabouts making them £250.

There is also a ParamoSeconds shop on eBay (the official Paramo one!) that sometimes has some cracking deals on their products.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
There is also a ParamoSeconds shop on eBay (the official Paramo one!) that sometimes has some cracking deals on their products.
Seen that earlier, they have a few Alta's in for £250, may as well buy from the shop with the 10% discount so I can try on.

Huge paramo fans here, both myself & Mr SHK. Paramo 2nds on ebay sells ones that are either slight seconds or have been used in field testing and/or photo shoots. We do cycle in them though.

Started this evening's trip home without but only lasted about half a mile. But when on, it does have the zip completely open and the arm vents. The one I was wearing today is quite light though - one of the newer, lightweight ones. My 'normal' winter one is a lot heavier / warmer and doesn't have the arm vents.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
My use will definitely not be cycling, I suppose maybe in the winter but I have other gear for that more suitable.

Hopefully will be getting a look at them on Sunday so will report back.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@potsy

I spend a lot of time in the Cumbrian mountains plus other ranges whenever I can.

I've 4 waterproof jackets inc' megabucks Arcteryx and a couple of other expensive things from TNF and Berghaus.

But far and away my favourite jacket is this Patagonia Torrentshell:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-torrentshell-waterproof-rain-jacket/83801.html

Costs around a ton and it has seen service in the local Fells, some foul days on the Cairngorm plateau as well as being subjected to serious abuse whilst shuffling up rock chimneys etc whilst scrambling.

It weighs a dozen or so ounces but is tough, it is brilliantly waterproof, has pit zips and disappears into it's tiny stuff sack (the inside of one pocket) that is about the size of a grapefruit.

The hood is superb, fits well, moves properly so as not to cause vision loss.

It is a bonkers brilliant jacket and is outstanding in all areas.

My go to jacket and it gets used very hard and even after three years it has heaps more life in it.

Of the dozen or so climbers/hillwalkers I know that are 'out there' I can think of 5 of them who have one of these and there's a couple of others with a similar offering from Marmot.

PS: not a fan of Paramo - too warm for me and to my mind just not suitable as an extreme foul weather garment. I had one years back and relegated it to a dog walking jacket. I hated the sodden feeling of the thing in heavy rain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom