Waterproof Jacket....which of these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

Looking for a quality waterproof jacket for touring and day rides and happy to pay for something that will last.
Key requirements are:
- good waterproofing that will not leave you like a drowned rat after an all day soaking.
- as breathable as possible. Not looking for the impossible here (don't go at full felt anyway) and happy to get sweaty (merino base layer) but not cooked
- a hood
- hi viz
- medium fit to allow room for layering

The following look of interest:
Paramo Quito
Lots of good reviews and seems sound on the waterproofing, breathability and quality fronts. But quite a baggy fit, would prefer a removable or stow-away hood and some negative feedback on letting water in when wearing a rucksack due to the Nikwax Analogy system.
Gore Fusion GT AS
Nice looking jacket, which seems to tick most of the boxes and has the Gore credibility. But seems the Gore is a slimmer fit than most?
Scott Helium AS
Good review on Bikeradar, nice looking jacket and again seems to tick all the boxes. However, hard to find in the UK with only one retailer coming up. Bikeradar review is very recent. Does anyone have this jacket...is it a new version?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have you looked at the Altura Nightvision Evo? You can now get for around £70. Hood is extra.
Fully waterproof.
In winter I wear it with just a LS shirt or a base layer. If extremely cold I wear with LS & Baselayer.
The jacket is not to boil in the bag either and if you do get too hot there are airvent zips on the sides.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Have you looked at the Altura Nightvision Evo? You can now get for around £70. Hood is extra.
Fully waterproof.
In winter I wear it with just a LS shirt or a base layer. If extremely cold I wear with LS & Baselayer.
The jacket is not to boil in the bag either and if you do get too hot there are airvent zips on the sides.

It's the one I've got, though I haven't got the hood.

Gore are a slim fit, generous arm and back length though, nicely made but you still get wet in an all day Scottish downpour i.e. summer.

Alexvs

Fully waterproof.
I've also just purchased one of these this morning at £67.99 from here: http://bikesyoulike.web-epos.com/product/6061/Altura_Night_Vision_Evo_Waterproof_Jacket_2012
It was between this and the regular Night Vision at £39.99 and like you read the reviews on Bikeradar and decided for the extra it was well worth it seeing as it's the 2012 version which retails at £99.99. Can't wait to get it next week now and try it out.

BigGee

I think the Evo is good as well, I have had other Altura Jackets before and this is much better, they often go at the zip, but this one is still going strong. I got mine, a 2011 model, for around the £70 from wiggle and it seemed the best value one around in that price range.

In terms of waterproofness, I was wearing it whilst riding to work yesterday morning when here was a downpour and gale of biblical proportions. My gloves and socks (and I was wearing overshoes) needed to be rung out and spent the rest of the day on the radiator when I got to work. My top half however was completely dry, so it passed a fairly severe test.

Sizes possibly a little on the large side though. I would usually be an extra large, but would probably have got away with a large for this one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sizes possibly a little on the large side though. I would usually be an extra large, but would probably have got away with a large for this one.

yep, the Evo is cut on the large size. So if you usually wear large cycling gear, then a medium is the way to go.

Gore are a slim fit, generous arm and back length though, nicely made but you still get wet in an all day Scottish downpour i.e. summer.
+1 I can only go on the experience of my Gore Phantom but its a little too long, I've never put it to the test but I doubt it would stand up to a prolonged exposure to our summer :thumbsup: I think I would go for a jacket without a hood myself if its cycling you are doing and go for something thats a good fit round the neck

Alexvs

yep, the Evo is cut on the large size. So if you usually wear large cycling gear, then a medium is the way to go.
Crap, hopefully the medium isn't too large on me then as I'm a medium in all my tops and jackets around 38" chest and went with a medium as I'm sure that's what the size chart said. Oh well I don't mind it being a little bigger but will see how it comes out when I get it.

Gore Phantom has been an enduringly good jacket for me. I have the Evo jacket too, and it's pre-cursor, the Night Vision. Evo has good pocket positions, zips and tabs on the zip to adjust ventilation whilst rolling. (Mostly ones fingers are swathed in padded fingers when wearing this stuff so easy zip is comfortable.)
As Ian said earlier - layering does the temperature control bit. Re: sizing, the Gore fits me like a glove...but I'm a bit on the larger side of small. :smile:

Top Bottom