Waterproof rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaynana

Hi all,

please help me get a proper tail light for commuting.

i'm sick of replacing the rear/tail light due to them getting flooded due to rain!

latest being a fibreflare (i must say i was warned by a form member here about the fibreflare), fantastic light but the design is obviously flawed, over time the bottom battery compartment gets flooded!

why the hell can't they just think of these.. just a simple re-design with a sealed bottom and batteries and all removable components at the top would have done wonders!

what are decent tail lights please, with most importantly GREAT water proofing qualities.

thanks

J

musa

Über Member
exposure flare is a good light
or some cheapies from planet x just smear the casing seal with vaseline

Milo

Guru
Never had a problem with smart lights and water I have with cateye lights though. The old Blackburn lights which had a screwed battery compartment were very waterproof just a pain.

Maz

Guru
I used to think the Smart 1/2Watt lights were good. However, the microswitch is ever so dodgy and water ingestion is a problem. Yes, I've tried the grease trick but it's no good. 3 rear lights binned because of this!

anyuser

Über Member
Exposure Flare, Niterider Solas, Cateye Rapid 5, Cateye AU100 have all proven waterproof for me and I commute in all weathers.

Maz

Guru
Exposure Flare, Niterider Solas, Cateye Rapid 5, Cateye AU100 have all proven waterproof for me and I commute in all weathers.
Just make sure you dont drop this on the floor.
I did. The batteries +ve terminal pushed against the light's +ve terminal spring and bent it inwards- couldnt bend it back outwards...now theres a piece of aluminium foil bridging the gap to make the connection.:dry:

uclown2002

Guru
I used to think the Smart 1/2Watt lights were good. However, the microswitch is ever so dodgy and water ingestion is a problem. Yes, I've tried the grease trick but it's no good. 3 rear lights binned because of this!

Same for me with Smart Lunar R2; bought 3 in total, only one working now.

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

thanks, that's the kind of thing i was looking for. still nothing beats the looks of the fibreflare.. maybe i'll try that again with some silicon sealant..

D

Deleted member 23692

I just bought a Knog Blinder GT. It's allegedly waterproof

knog_blinder1-500x390.jpg

not my photo

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

i've had knoggs Boomers. front still works.

rear got soaked. water went between the silicon sleeve and the plastic and eventually into the battery compartment! i tried various methods like glue, insulating tape, etc, water always found its way as the silicon sleeve was like a sack! that's when i bought a fibreflare last year. now that's also gone!

Svendo

Guru
I have a Smart R2 permanently on the seat post directly above the rear wheel, so maximum road spray. I've added silicone grease to add extra waterproofing and it works fine after 18 months of ~80 miles/week commuting in all weathers. Occasionally get some water ingess if REALLY REALLY wet and if the grease has worn off a bit due to opening/closing and it fails to one LED lit. Worked fine again when dried on radiator. Also have two R1s on the seat stays when after dark, find them more likely to get wet as no overlap of the body & lens sections, but no problems in the less vulnerable position.

Top Bottom