Waterproof rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'd rather have mudguards than a skid mark up my back, especially if I'm commuting. :tongue:

Mudguards may not fit with some fashions, but they are used because they have definite positives. They prevent a lot of water ingress to places like the headset and therefore mean that has a much longer life. They stop your lights getting covered in water which tends to make those last longer (I've never lost a light to water ingress) and they mean you can ride after the rain without getting yourself and your bike covered in oily grime.

Of course if your chosen fashion is more important then one of the downsides may be that you have to spend more money on lights ;)

Maz

Guru
Smart lights (R1 1w and superflash 1/2w types) are totally waterproof. The 1/2w one will work for 2 days at the bottom of a canal.

All they need to achieve this is a smear of silicone grease round the seal once a month.

Same waterproofing technique works for virtually all bike lights.

I had 2 Blackburn Mars 4 on the bike last weekend and they got totally drenched several times, with no problems at all - they'd also received the silicone grease treatment.

My gripe with Smarts is that the clip on the back of the light that goes into the bracket breaks after two to three years, hence the Blackburns.
I think this will be my next rear light. Comes with a life-time warranty, too, apparently.

D

Deleted member 23692

I just bought a Knog Blinder GT. It's allegedly waterproof

knog_blinder1-500x390.jpg

not my photo

Quick update - I was surprised to find the light on the floor by the bike this morning.

The silicone rubber band that holds the light to the seat post had snapped clean through. As it's an integral part of the case the light is now fubar. A pretty poor show considering I've not ridden the bike since fitting the light to the seat post... even more so considering it's a safety item.

I suppose the silver lining is that I didn't lose it during a ride so I still have the POS to send back for some refundage.

Sara_H

Guru
I've never had problems with water in lights, and I tend to use cheapy ones. I ususally smear a bit of vaseline around the thread and joints.

I also saw a trick somewhere of using an cut down piece of an old inner tube as a sleeve for cyclindrical lights to add a bit of extra protection.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just bought a pair of these Exposure Flare they look like they should be waterproof. always had cateyes before and never had a problem with them. knoggs are not water proof and neither was the rear blackburn i had.:sad:

Wooliferkins

Smarts waterproofing is frustrating. I've had more than a few back to the shop though we've sold dozens. My trusty old 7 LED got trashed in a pot hole/puddle incident in the spring the R1 I replaced it with is possesed. Went down the pub, light off when I left bike in the hall cant miss a 1W light, on flash when I return. Cat's clever but not that clever

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive been using Smart Lunar R2s, left outside in rain plenty of times, even snowed on and no problem at all. My cateye 1100 has also been fine with the same treatment, but I keep all the compartment seals greased up nicely :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Both my R2's are letting in some water. Time for some vaseline. Had similar issues with the Superflash (R1) !

My CandBSeen mega lumen jobbies are 100% waterproof though !

Koga

I think leaking lights (in direct rear wheel spray) are also exposed to slight movement caused by the vibration of the back cover versus the other half of the light. This can potentially break the seal and over time allow water in the light.
My new Blackburn Mars 4 was used only once a wet roads (for 3 hours, no mud guards) and leaked at the top. When you open it you can see traces of mud / silt inside, it seeped through the seal.
I now open the light lay the battery part on cling foil (I use thick industrial type), fold it around the entire light, fold everything back onto the battery, click in the back cover and the important part of the light is completely sealed of. Easy to do and redo after replacing/charging the batteries!
WP_000358.jpg
WP_000353.jpg

Top Bottom