Waterproof rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edge705

Hi all,

please help me get a proper tail light for commuting.

i'm sick of replacing the rear/tail light due to them getting flooded due to rain!

latest being a fibreflare (i must say i was warned by a form member here about the fibreflare), fantastic light but the design is obviously flawed, over time the bottom battery compartment gets flooded!

why the hell can't they just think of these.. just a simple re-design with a sealed bottom and batteries and all removable components at the top would have done wonders!

what are decent tail lights please, with most importantly GREAT water proofing qualities.

thanks

J

WD40 spray that in both ends once every couple of weeks mine still going strong after two winters. Have to agree though the battery compartment design is flawed

Kies

i've had knoggs Boomers. front still works.

rear got soaked. water went between the silicon sleeve and the plastic and eventually into the battery compartment! i tried various methods like glue, insulating tape, etc, water always found its way as the silicon sleeve was like a sack! that's when i bought a fibreflare last year. now that's also gone!

A 1mm hole in the casing (bottom) could have sorted that out

Davidc

Guru
Smart lights (R1 1w and superflash 1/2w types) are totally waterproof. The 1/2w one will work for 2 days at the bottom of a canal.

All they need to achieve this is a smear of silicone grease round the seal once a month.

Same waterproofing technique works for virtually all bike lights.

I had 2 Blackburn Mars 4 on the bike last weekend and they got totally drenched several times, with no problems at all - they'd also received the silicone grease treatment.

My gripe with Smarts is that the clip on the back of the light that goes into the bracket breaks after two to three years, hence the Blackburns.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
never had an issue with mine... and never even thought of the grease trick... but will do in a 'belt & braces' kind of way :thumbsup:

i guess maybe having a mudguard help reduce water induction.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've always used cateye and never had a problem. cycle in all weather as well. even had a 25 mile commute in torrential rain... all the way... was loads of fun :bravo:love cycling in the rain.

Only ever used a Cateye TL-LD1100. never had any issues with it even in Scandinavia when Norway tested everything to its limit (on tour). Used them for +10 years now, original one still going strong (unless it was the one my OH had knicked yesterday off his bike at work :sad: just about to buy him another one). takes 2 * AA batteries, we run them on rechargable ones which last about a week when in use all day every day on tour.

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

WD40 spray that in both ends once every couple of weeks mine still going strong after two winters. Have to agree though the battery compartment design is flawed

thanks, i'm gonna try silicone grease, just ordered a fibreflare micro duo red - nothing beats the look of these lights for me.. along with a tub of silicone grease!

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

Nope, hence seat post water vulnerability.

(And before anyone suggests it I'm not putting guards, even Cruds, on my Storck. It'd be just wrong.)

lol, thats my kind of thinking :smile:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've several Blackburn lights, always used a smear of grease round the seal, and never had a problem.... except the bloody clips which seem to work reliably for a couple of years, then go brittle and snap.

Latest rear light is a Serfas Thunderbolt. Have to say, so far (12 months on) I'm mighty impressed. Easy to mount, rechargeable and very bright. Oh and its a single piece silicon molding so chances for water ingress are minimal.

Buzzinonbikes

I have just bought a Philips Lumiring to stick on permanent on my rear rack. Expensive I know (£30) but apparently offers excellent visibility. Been wanting something massive to leave on steady on my rear rack for a while and this ticks all the boxes. Hopefully will pay for itself this winter on my new long commute since moving house. Will post a review in the reviews section once I've had a play!

OP
OP
jaynana

jaynana

I've several Blackburn lights, always used a smear of grease round the seal, and never had a problem.... except the bloody clips which seem to work reliably for a couple of years, then go brittle and snap.

Latest rear light is a Serfas Thunderbolt. Have to say, so far (12 months on) I'm mighty impressed. Easy to mount, rechargeable and very bright. Oh and its a single piece silicon molding so chances for water ingress are minimal.

Nice! Just too late, next time..

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Reaches for 'Can of Worms' & opens it..

Although I agree totally, a commuter bike without mudguards!?!?!?

I, too use the 1/2 watt Smart lights (two of them on the seat-post; one constant, the other flashing) & have never had any issues with them not working in the rain/sleet/snow

Yep always a can of worms, but there is a point to the question.

Firstly lights get a lot more water sprayed at them without guards. Secondly you can reduce the attrition rate a bit by mounting the lights off centre (on seat stays) as they aren't under direct attack from the back wheel there.

Top Bottom