Waterproof shoes for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I have a rain proof jacket so my upper body is always dry but I always get lots of water into my shoes when it rains, is there any shoes I could get that would keep my feet dry when it rains?

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem with all shoes is the big hole in the top. Get some overshoes that go a decent way up your ankle
eg https://www.velovixen.com/collectio...n-shield-neoprene-closed-sole-overshoes-black
Do you have road or mtb style shoes?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to stick with normal footwear, perhaps get some waterproof walking shoes or boots? Gore Tex or leather. Your feet will still get a bit wet though but at least no cleat bolt holes for more water ingress. The grippy sole might help with slipping on the pedals when it’s wet too.
Winter cycling boots an option if going clipless but they’re expensive to buy in winter

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It always rains when it is not expected and when I am far from home.
i have the other problem when commuting it normally chucks it down till im sodden then stops so i arrive soaked but its not raining anymore , mind you i dont bother with a coat half the time as i do a time/wetness calculation based on how wet i would get stopping to muck about with wet weather gear to how wet i will get just carrying on .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Waterproof socks.

Yes if it's just the fact of wet feet that bother you.

+1 for Waterproof socks.
Dexshell are a good affordable brand.
All sorts of styles, weights colours available.

I use a 'medium weight'

Thin socks under them to keep your feet warm in cooler weather.

The shoes over the top can then be any kind of lightweight trainer, if your not using cleats.

In fact the lighter the shoes better - they dry out quicker.

Waterproof socks also cut the wind chill too.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Two choices:

a) SPD sandals, no socks.
Both skin and sandal dry out quite quickly when it stops raining. Since the circulation in the feet is pretty much unrestricted, it's not as cold as you might expect, besides which it encourages you not to be nesh.

b) Winter boots, that come up the ankle a short way, plus ankle seals to redirect water running down the leg to the outside.
Drysuit ankle seals, with the narrow end against the skin of the leg and the wide end over the outside of the boot, are best, but you can do the same with the wrists cut off a pair of washing up gloves. If you wear longs, they should go over the outside of the top of the seal.

Waterproof socks plus ankle seals will keep the foot dry, but you'll still have soggy shoes the next day.
Without the seals, water will run down the leg and in the top, the same as shoes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Two choices:

b) Winter boots, that come up the ankle a short way, plus ankle seals to redirect water running down the leg to the outside.
Drysuit ankle seals, with the narrow end against the skin of the leg and the wide end over the outside of the boot, are best, but you can do the same with the wrists cut off a pair of washing up gloves. If you wear longs, they should go over the outside of the top of the seal.

This is what I use when weather is really bad or wet and boggy on the MTB, but use dry suit wrist seals cut down. Super cheap (skinny ankles)
Bought these and trimmed the narrow part off.

https://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Wrist-Seals-Cone-Standard--Pair--Spare-Part--WRISTSEALSCONE.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom