Waterproof shorts wearing out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last year I went through 3 pairs of Tenns (have padded ones underneath but I like something baggier with pockets on top) - all wore out in the inner thigh area. A bit fed up I swapped to another cheap'ish make for the 4th pair but whilst lasting longer, have just worn holes in the same place. So my question is: should I just consider this a consumable cost or would a more expensive make last longer, long enough to be worth the extra outlay? For info I'm doing around 5k miles/year & whilst a lot fitter than in my past, have the traditional short, fat, hairy legs of your mainstream short*rse!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Failing to answer the question completely: have you considered whether rainlegs would give enough water protection while not having any fabric where you're wearing shorts out?

Also, what are you wearing holes on and could that do mischief to your thighs?

PK99

Legendary Member
Last year I went through 3 pairs of Tenns (have padded ones underneath but I like something baggier with pockets on top) - all wore out in the inner thigh area. !

I ruined shorts and an expensive pair of Roubaix longs before I realised that the inner thigh wear was caused by the flapping end of the Velcro strap on my seat post bag.

OP
OP
FlatCapCyclist

FlatCapCyclist

Regular
Failing to answer the question completely: have you considered whether rainlegs would give enough water protection while not having any fabric where you're wearing shorts out?

Also, what are you wearing holes on and could that do mischief to your thighs?

It's not so much the waterproofing as looking/feeling a total dork in just the padded lycra and I like having pockets too, quite often I'll call in at a shop on my way home & phone/keys/wallet/change etc all live there. I think they're wearing out where my thighs rub against the saddle, which is leather & (neatly) stitched & I think ok quality. Maybe it's just my shape - in my porkier days I'd do the same thing to jeans just from walking

AnthonyC

Regular
I think better quality shorts will last longer, but it's no complete solution either. In the end they'll just wear, because of the rubbing of your thighs against the saddle. I've never heard of a way to completely prevent it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
would a more expensive make last longer, long enough to be worth the extra outlay?

Not in my experience. I bought an expensive pair of Swrve jeans a few years ago precisely because they promised not to wear out in that area. Guess what? They were very comfortable for cycling in, much more comfortable than regular jeans, but wore out just as quickly.

the traditional short, fat, hairy legs of your mainstream short*rse!

There's your problem right there. Friction is the enemy. The only way to prevent shorts wearing out is to eliminate friction.

Wearing multiple pairs of shorts is probably exacerbating the problem.

AnthonyC

Regular
Agree, but in my younger years I had legs in a good shape, and my (expensive) jeans would still wear at the bottom and thighs. You can't eliminate that friction without getting out of your saddle (there's your solution..).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All my stuff wears out in the bum, not the inside thigh. I suspect the OP has something rubbing like the aforementioned strap, the saddle is the wrong shape for you and rubbing or possibly your pedal stroke is a bit odd or just maybe (as you say you wear inner thighs out walking) you are indeed such a shape it's unavoidable :sad:

Top Bottom