Waterproof shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shack

Afternoon all, well this rain is very much persisting down here in the SW, I'm in the market for some waterproof shorts, either overshorts or some vaguely (for I'm sure that's all they'll be) waterproof 'normal' shorts.
Any recommendations, or ones to steer clear of ? (I did have some cheap Tenn? Overshorts, sadly lost)
Thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
Just wear shorts in Lycra, dries very quickly?
Your legs are going to get wet anyhow in shorts (never heard of waterproof shorts!)
Decathlon have these
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/all-mountain-waterproof-overshorts/_/R-p-309637
Endura have a range of mountain bike shorts too but much more money

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Shack

Shack

Just wear shorts in Lycra, dries very quickly?
Your legs are going to get wet anyhow in shorts (never heard of waterproof shorts!)
Decathlon have these
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/all-mountain-waterproof-overshorts/_/R-p-309637
Endura have a range of mountain bike shorts too but much more money
Thanks for the link, and will have a look at the endura range as well, For shorter rides of an hour or 2 I tend to wear just regular clothes, saving the other clingy bits for bigger trips.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't fancy the idea of waterproof shorts... I reckon that they would never be breathable enough to stop them causing horrible sweating problems, precisely where you would NOT want horrible sweating problems! :whistle:

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

I normally wear some nice Montane walking shorts on the bike in a light gunmetal grey (I think they call it 'Granite') fairly fast drying, but the biggest bugbear is they can have water stains after such a down pour.

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

I don't fancy the idea of waterproof shorts... I reckon that they would never be breathable enough to stop them causing horrible sweating problems, precisely where you would NOT want horrible sweating problems! :whistle:
My original and now misplaced were a rather loose affair so not a festering moistbed of yuck, thankfully.
I've got some nice paramo walking trousers, now if they did their system in a good looking pair of shorts, I think I'd be onto a winner

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use Goretex C5 Active overshorts, which seem to have been replaced by a Paclite version.
Skin's waterproof, so the lower legs aren't a problem, and they fend off the rain that runs off the bottom edge of your jacket into your crotch.

Ideally the shorts you wear underneath should be 3 inches or so shorter, so they don't poke out the ends. If they do, the end 6" or so will end up damp.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't understand this. How can one have waterproof shorts. It's raining, on a bike, in shorts, how can one possibly keep dry?

I get the idea of a material which dries quickly but surely not waterproof. There two big holes where the legs poke out!

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't understand this. How can one have waterproof shorts. It's raining, on a bike, in shorts, how can one possibly keep dry?

I get the idea of a material which dries quickly but surely not waterproof. There two big holes where the legs poke out!
Because rain tends to come down from the sky, it keeps the nether regions dry, personally there is nothing as uncomfortable as being warm, dry in the rain with a cold wet undercarriage, used to hate it on a motorbike when you get that very first very cold trickle of water getting into your crotch.

I wear a pair of this with their padded undershorts underneath https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/...orts-with-Detachable-Brace-p/pol01-7057-p.htm

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have some Boardman waterproof shorts - only really use them if it's really bad - they do keep your bum dry.

One thing to consider is army surplus - you can get goretex waterproof shorts quite cheap - OK limited colours like blue, grey, cammo, but they are apparently very good.

Top Bottom