Waterproofing old Karrimor Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well I have done it, see if it rains on them now.

After inspecting the seams there is absolutely no taping of them so I can imagine that's the culprit.

The e on KS100e stood for elastomer and it coated the seams. I still have a 1980s KS100e rucksack in loft. How waterproof it is now, I know not.

Tent seam sealant would probably do the job for reproofing.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
What did you use?

Ended up using some generic Universal Waterproof Spray from Deitchman shoe shop, we had some in and a little test patch didn't cause any colour change so I went for it

Few hours later and water beads on it nicely, but yet to have rain.

The e on KS100e stood for elastomer and it coated the seams. I still have a 1980s KS100e rucksack in loft. How waterproof it is now, I know not.

Tent seam sealant would probably do the job for reproofing.

I'll dig what I have out and give it a try this weekend.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ended up using some generic Universal Waterproof Spray from Deitchman shoe shop, we had some in and a little test patch didn't cause any colour change so I went for it

Few hours later and water beads on it nicely, but yet to have rain.

I'll dig what I have out and give it a try this weekend.
May sound daft, but washing before reproofing is the best way of waterproofing any fabric used for rucksacks or similar items.

Wash using soap flakes or washing up liquid. Rinsing thoroughly.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
May sound daft, but washing before reproofing is the best way of waterproofing any fabric used for rucksacks or similar items.

Wash using soap flakes or washing up liquid. Rinsing thoroughly.

That does make sense really cleaning off any contaminates.

I'd just keep a dry bag in the pannier just in case.

I can't see any reason why Fabsil would harm the panniers. Try seam sealing and using Fabsil, but still stick with dry bagging any vulnerable items

Agreed, I have put my tools into a small dry bag now and will get something sorted for my laptop, I do have a really good bargain drybag style messenger bag so can use that if the weather is bad for now.

Lovacott

Über Member
Agreed, I have put my tools into a small dry bag now and will get something sorted for my laptop, I do have a really good bargain drybag style messenger bag so can use that if the weather is bad for now.
I bought a pannier box for my commuter. Solves all of the waterproof issues.

I read somewhere about making up waterproofing mix using silica sealant dissolved in white spirit.
tried it on bike gloves and a flat “wax” cap and it does seem to work.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I bought a pannier box for my commuter. Solves all of the waterproof issues.

I have some other Panniers which would solve the role if my commute is longer but the idea with these is that they live on the bike but are not bulky. Plus they look nice.

I read somewhere about making up waterproofing mix using silica sealant dissolved in white spirit.
tried it on bike gloves and a flat “wax” cap and it does seem to work.

That's quite interesting, does it have a weird smell?

I have some other Panniers which would solve the role if my commute is longer but the idea with these is that they live on the bike but are not bulky. Plus they look nice.

That's quite interesting, does it have a weird smell?
Initially yes but leave to air and the white spirit evaps away leaving a thin film of silicone . Think it was YouTube video

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I only bought them last week. However I suspect the previous owner bought them about 40 years ago. I am really happy with them really.

We have a pretty well identical pair which date from the early eighties. Some sort of dry bag inside helps, I'm sure you can still but rucksack liners.

From time to time we'd have packages sent to work that burst in the post (legal paperwork) which the Post Office secured with heavy duty plastic bags. I'd scavenge those (surely not stealing stationery!!) and keep them as pannier liners.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
We have a pretty well identical pair which date from the early eighties. Some sort of dry bag inside helps, I'm sure you can still but rucksack liners.

From time to time we'd have packages sent to work that burst in the post (legal paperwork) which the Post Office secured with heavy duty plastic bags. I'd scavenge those (surely not stealing stationery!!) and keep them as pannier liners.

Quite a good idea, I think I can obtain something like that.

These have now been replaced for the time being by my Super C panniers on the commuter bike, the Karrimors are now on my Raleigh.

Lovacott

Über Member
That is a disadvantage with a box (that it stays on the bike) but I solved that by buying another bike which I can ride when I don't need to carry stuff.

Top Bottom