Waxing your chain tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve tried wax over the years. I made my own with beeswax, chain oil, paraffin was, linseed oil, diesel. All manner of blends.
Very durable in the dry, or when there’s clean roads. Or on a training bike in the shed. Beyond this, be prepared for much boiling, sieving, cleaning and reapplying.
You may find it fun, just like I find sharpening all the pencils with a knife fun. But oil and go is much, much easier.
You've proved the point for me.
And dry, clean roads? Somewhat rare in north yorkshire i think (been out on them lately)
I think some folk just like making stuff complicated.
Weldtite performance oil for me. Cheap. Pretty liquid so when you apply you can wipe stuff off the outside of the chain. Helps to flush debris out of the chain when in use.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That’s interesting. I suppose that pros don’t have to worry about replacing components that become clogged with oil, grease and debris. Unfortunately, that would prove too expensive for me.
And for most pro teams. Teams get their income in the form of a fixed amount from sponsorship, this has to be divided up into various categories such as salaries for riders and staff, general running costs and equipment. No team has unlimited funds no matter how much they get, and they can't afford to throw money around as they please. Fair enough if you're Chris Froome or Alberto Contador, you can have what you want as you want it, but in most cases riders use equipment until it is worn out, and in the case of some of the poorer teams well beyond that. Talk to any ex pro from the middle and lower ranks and they will tell of having to beg for new chains etc, often resorting to buying their own.

12boy

Guru
Sheldon Brown has a good article on this subject, which is correctly identified as one that pleasant and reasonable folks become otherwise in their beliefs on the matter. As a devout waxer, I maintain a crockpot with a blend of moly sulfide, toilet bowl seal, canning wax and a little grease, and being lazy, toss chains, used or new, into this with at most a cursory wipe on the used ones. I believe that sand and metal bits are heavier than the wax and sink to the bottom. 30 minutes later they are removed from the molten wax and when cooled are reinstalled. When begin to sound dry they are relubed. My sprockets and chainrings are always a little waxy and I like to think last longer than they would with the oil method.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
And for most pro teams. Teams get their income in the form of a fixed amount from sponsorship, this has to be divided up into various categories such as salaries for riders and staff, general running costs and equipment. No team has unlimited funds no matter how much they get, and they can't afford to throw money around as they please. Fair enough if you're Chris Froome or Alberto Contador, you can have what you want as you want it, but in most cases riders use equipment until it is worn out, and in the case of some of the poorer teams well beyond that. Talk to any ex pro from the middle and lower ranks and they will tell of having to beg for new chains etc, often resorting to buying their own.
Yes, I suppose I've been only considering the high profile, monied teams such as Team Sky/Ineos.

I saw a GCN video with one of the top teams about washing and maintaining bikes. I can't remember which team it was now. They use pressure washers to clean the bikes. The presenter asked about the high pressure water washing the grease out of (for e.g.) the bottom bracket and the mechanic answered that the component would be worn out before the grease was washed out because of the amount of use and the stress the bikes are put under during training and racing.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I tend to use a cheap car wash sponge cut into slices to clean the crud off, sprayed with GT 85 and kept inside a latex glove (keep my hands clean) until one or both give up the ghost, tea towels and old t shirts to dry off and last run through before a lube.

Top Bottom