Waxing your chain tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I’m thinking of buying a cheap slow cooker & waxing my chains in rotation.
Does anybody do this & what wax is the best to purchase?
Thanks in advance.

;)

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
What are you hoping to achieve that oil wont?

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
@Vantage
Watch the second video.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve tried wax over the years. I made my own with beeswax, chain oil, paraffin was, linseed oil, diesel. All manner of blends.
Very durable in the dry, or when there’s clean roads. Or on a training bike in the shed. Beyond this, be prepared for much boiling, sieving, cleaning and reapplying.
You may find it fun, just like I find sharpening all the pencils with a knife fun. But oil and go is much, much easier.

Globalti

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5414250, member: 9609"]stupid question time - are all candles 'parafin wax' or do I have to specifically but them ?
Parafin Oil - where would I buy that from, used to be able to buy it at filling stations as it was a popular fuel, but doubt its there now[/QUOTE]

I think paraffin oil is just another name for paraffin, known as kerosine in most of the world. There are many grades of light, semi-volatile mineral oil and paraffin is just one of them. I use deodorised kerosine for fire eating because it doesn't taste as bad as the regular stuff.

Waxoyle is just wax mixed with paraffin; the same as Nikwax, sold for waxing shoes.

Top Bottom