Way of the Roses campsites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Hi folks has anyone got any recommendations for campsites on the Way of the Roses route. I've been having a look and some seem to be the same price for a 2 man tent as for a motorhome.

Serge

Über Member
Hi folks has anyone got any recommendations for campsites on the Way of the Roses route. I've been having a look and some seem to be the same price for a 2 man tent as for a motorhome.
I've just had a quick look at the official website: http://wayoftheroses.info/route. That looks like a fun ride. New bike permitting, I think I'll be putting that on my to do list later in the year.

There seem to be quite a few hostels along the way, I think I'd be inclined to use those rather than camping. I was amazed with the quality of the accommodation when I stopped in the YHA Oxford for the weekend a few weeks ago.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you ride it West to East - BE VERY CAREFUL on the descent into Pateley Bridge (Greenhow Hill)! [Read this]

Don't let that put you off the route, it is a very nice one - just don't take any chances on that treacherous descent. It is perfectly safe if you keep your speed down, but at least 3 people pushed their luck and paid the ultimate price ... (I know of 2 cycling fatalities and 1 motorist who died, but there may well be more.)

Serge

Über Member
If you ride it West to East - BE VERY CAREFUL on the descent into Pateley Bridge (Greenhow Hill)! [Read this]

Don't let that put you off the route, it is a very nice one - just don't take any chances on that treacherous descent. It is perfectly safe if you keep your speed down, but at least 3 people pushed their luck and paid the ultimate price ... (I know of 2 cycling fatalities and 1 motorist who died, but there may well be more.)
It does mention that particular descent on the website, it must be a beast.

ColinJ

It does mention that particular descent on the website, it must be a beast.
It is steep, but the real problem is some deceptively tight bends and the narrowness of the road.

The accident victim I saw had gone into a bend way too fast, shot across the road towards oncoming traffic, panic-braked and gone over the handlebars. He had face-planted on the road and was unconscious. I honestly thought that he was dying but apparently he did recover.

The bend is at about 3:21 in this video. The rider was lying near the gateway on the opposite side of the road at 3:26 in this video.

You can get a good idea of how fast that descent is and how narrow the road is, and that there can be a fair amount of traffic. It would be a good idea NOT to descend as fast as the rider who shot the video! It looks like he knew what he was doing, but it would only take one driver or motorcyclist coming the other way to be doing a dodgy overtake and there could be a head-on collision ...

ColinJ

Watching the video again I can see that the rider with the video camera goes well out in the road on the bend in question. When the fallen rider I saw came round that bend he would have seen a 4x4 towing a caravan towards him.

With caution though, a nice descent. Have a great ride!

Thanks for that colin.

I'd say he is going too fast, particularly with the various side entrances etc into the road - the things folk will do for a moment in the Youtube light. Glad it ended well

Pjays666

Über Member
This is a nice route and very enjoyable. I have done it twice and enjoyed but trips but stayed in b and bs on both occasions. As others have said just watch the descent. If you start in morecambe most of the climbing is in the first section to brimham rocks.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

Don't let that put you off the route, it is a very nice one
& if you're cycling it east to west make sure your lowest gears are indexed properly otherwise you may end up having to walk up :blush:
It is a great route though, only route I've done twice (once each way) & I'll probably do it again next year:okay: Can' help with camping though. I did b&bs too, saves on weight & you get a better bed & shower :laugh:

Indeed - it would only take a deer or sheep to suddenly run out and ... BANG! :eek:
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...as-cyclist-killed-in-collision-with-deer/amp/

Was leading a group of 10 to 15 or so in kent once. Ahead of us a massive deer jumped over a hedge, ran across the road, jumped over the opposite hedge. A few seconds later and one or several if us could have been very seriously injured/killed. Not something you can plan for though, whatever your brakes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes deer are my greatest worry, whether on the bike or in the car. I've seen two deer jump into the lane ahead of me then panic, trying to jump back out again and bouncing repeatedly off the fence until they made it.

Back to the Way of the Roses. We camped at:

Helwith Bridge Inn

Manor House campsite, just south of Summerbridge.

Riverside Camping and Caravan park, Bishopthorpe, south of York.

Can't remember night 4.

useful post globalti.

What sort of prices were those?

have to ask - have been asked some bonkers prices for bike camping last year or two.

If a site starts going on about its green credentials in a fey sort of way, my antennae start twitching.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It was a couple of years ago and I was with a school group so one of the teachers took care of all the fees. They were all budget campsites. I'll have another look and see if I can find the night 4 campsite.

The best bit of the ride for me was the two days east of York; the ride meanders along lanes though timeless countryside then up into the Yorkshire Wolds, an area I had never seen before. The dry valley between Millington and Huggate was the absolute highlight, a unique place in Britain. Well, almost - it reminded me strongly of Wiltshire.

Nope... can't find that campsite.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Great help, cheers.
I agree about costs I've been told it's going to cost the same for a 2 man tent as it does for our 6m motor home, methinks there is a bit of opportunism going on, due to this popular route.

Top Bottom