Wayhey, I had a moment!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Filtering down the left, I can see that a car in the queue has held back to allow a car turning out of a side road to the right to fit into the queue - only the driver can't pull forward enough because of the traffic so she's sitting across the lane and looks to be still creeping.

So I slow down to a gentle roll, and sure enough, she creeps forward so that the bonnet is right across the cycle lane, all the time looking fixedly to her right - IE at the traffic that isn't moving, instead of the traffic (me) that might be... If I'd been 10-20 yards further on, she'd have nudged me.

I come to a stop and 'Ahem' a couple of times, and when that fails to attract the attention of the back of her head, I bend down and wave and shout 'Helloooooooo' cheerily through the closed window at her. Whereupon she finally registers my presences and gestures angrily at me (my fault of course, for being there), before the traffic moves on.

Of course, it moves on about 10 yards, so once she's straightened, I filter past with ne'er a glance at her, and I'm soon miles ahead.... :girl:

In situations like this, I like to think that anyone who's first reaction is anger rather than 'oops! sorry!' is likely to end up with an ulcer, a heart attack, or a divorce.

My only regret is not having the presence of mind to blow her a kiss as I passed...:smile:
 

potsy

Rambler
Location
My Armchair
Or you could have employed the Magnatom 'wave' as you went past:biggrin:
 
Arch said:
In situations like this, I like to think that anyone who's first reaction is anger rather than 'oops! sorry!' is likely to end up with an ulcer, a heart attack, or a divorce.
I never quite understand that. I mean, we all get things wrong sometimes, but surely you have to be really up yourself to think everything must be someone else's fault all the time. It would hardly have hurt her to give you an apologetic wave, then you'd have gone on your way full of good feelings about the human race.
 

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
It's funny how that situation will almost always cause the offending driver to get cross with you. I have these quite a lot in London, so much filtering on most commutes.
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
I assume it's embarrassment - and the best way to get your ego out of embarrassment is to get angry, so that you can tell yourself it was the other person's fault, not yours.
 

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
Arch said:
I assume it's embarrassment - and the best way to get your ego out of embarrassment is to get angry, so that you can tell yourself it was the other person's fault, not yours.
This is spot on I think. See also the pedestrian who walks out in front of you without looking, gets a shock and then gets really cross at you because (for example) you didn't ring your bell.
 

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Similar experiences to me yesterday, I was filtering through slow moving traffic in a "mandatory" cycle lane. 1 car was half in the lane so as I passed I pointed to the solid white line. Bit further down was pretty much deja-vu but a woman driver this time.
 

Davidc

Guru
Location
Somerset UK
Arch said:
In situations like this, I like to think that anyone who's first reaction is anger rather than 'oops! sorry!' is likely to end up with an ulcer, a heart attack, or a divorce.:biggrin:
I don't think most humans are temperamentally suited to driving - only to walking and cycling :biggrin:
 
Rhythm Thief said:
I never quite understand that. I mean, we all get things wrong sometimes, but surely you have to be really up yourself to think everything must be someone else's fault all the time. It would hardly have hurt her to give you an apologetic wave, then you'd have gone on your way full of good feelings about the human race.
Well, yes. I'm proud of being a good driver, but I always know when I've screwed up and I'll happily look apologetic and give a little wave to say sorry.
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Fluffy said:
Similar experiences to me yesterday, I was filtering through slow moving traffic in a "mandatory" cycle lane. 1 car was half in the lane so as I passed I pointed to the solid white line. Bit further down was pretty much deja-vu but a woman driver this time.
Ah, I've worked this one out. They think if they only have two wheels in the lane, it means they are a bicycle...:biggrin:

Davidc, good point, but I think a fair few of them aren't temperamentally suited to anything - you only have to walk through a busy town centre to get barged by fellow pedestrians.

Interestingly, at the Spezi show last weekend, it was heaving, and hot, and pretty much universally good natured, even with bikes weaving in and out of the mix... Now, was that down to the number of cyclists, or laid back Europeans, or both?
 

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I assume it's embarrassment - and the best way to get your ego out of embarrassment is to get angry, so that you can tell yourself it was the other person's fault, not yours.
+1. I think it has a lot to do with self esteem as well. If you are confident in your ability's (generally) then you should be happy to amit fault in yourself as it helps you to learn.

I suspect those that attack first and refuse to admit responsibility tend to be the types who become a little unhappy with life.
 
Top Bottom