WD40 for the chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, just wondered if it’s ok to use wd40 for the chain. Not long term use but at the moment with the poor weather I keep hosing the bike off after each ride so then spray the chain with wd40 or similar to drive out the water and stop it rusting between uses. Would this offer enough protection for quick 20-40mile rides? Or should I apply my regular dry lube too?
Thanks

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I will quite often use a quick spray of GT85 on the drive train between full cleans and relubes during the winter.Seems to stop squeaks and grinding sounds.....^_^:whistle:

Ajax Bay

Guru
wondered if it’s ok to use wd40 for the chain. Not long term use but at the moment with the poor weather I keep hosing the bike off after each ride so then spray the chain with wd40 or similar to drive out the water and stop it rusting between uses. Would this offer enough protection for quick 20-40mile rides? Or should I apply my regular dry lube too?
If your chain and cassette are well oiled, there is no merit in spraying with WD40/GT85. If properly lubed in the first place (see below) the oil already there should prevent rust. Better off (after hose wash) to wipe excess moisture/oil mix off chain (kitchen towel, say) and re-oil.
If you do use a spray, that will dilute the oil on the chain, which is fine provided you then wipe and oil; wait, and wipe.
If you don't (and just spray), your next ride (20-40 miles) will be on dry lube diluted by WD40. Do you think that's better protection/lubrication than wet lube?
Put the "regular dry lube" away till after Easter (Devon/Cornwall). Wet lube till then.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

If your chain and cassette are well oiled, there is no merit in spraying with WD40/GT85. If properly lubed in the first place (see below) the oil already there should prevent rust. Better off (after hose wash) to wipe excess moisture/oil mix off chain (kitchen towel, say) and re-oil.
If you do use a spray, that will dilute the oil on the chain, which is fine provided you then wipe and oil; wait, and wipe.
If you don't (and just spray), your next ride (20-40 miles) will be on dry lube diluted by WD40. Do you think that's better protection/lubrication than wet lube?
Put the "regular dry lube" away till after Easter (Devon/Cornwall). Wet lube till then.
Thanks I might go grab some wet lube over the weekend. I do liberally apply the dry lube but after a wet ride a while back then letting the bike sit I had a few rust spots. Which got me onto using the wd40 when I got back as it leaves the chain clean and rust free, I thought probably dilutes the main lube but wasn’t sure if it was cause any problems using this everytime after a ride

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I keep hosing the bike off
And you will hose the chain off too of you use wd40. Traditional wd40 is a penetrating oil that will wash previous lubricants out and not be good for long term use. Any old engine oil, cooking oil or even 3in1 would be better than wd40 IMO

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
after a wet ride a while back then letting the bike sit I had a few rust spots
Yes - after a wet ride, wipe off the chain (and oil) and spray the cassette with WD40 (spray can) as a water dispersant and rust inhibitor. If you leave it oil-less and wet, both will rust overnight. Wet lube investment is a 'must' (or any similar viscosity/adhesion stuff).

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

And you will hose the chain off too of you use wd40. Traditional wd40 is a penetrating oil that will wash previous lubricants out and not be good for long term use. Any old engine oil, cooking oil or even 3in1 would be better than wd40 IMO
That’s what I thought about wd40 neutralising any protectant on the chain already which is why I wondered at the moment could I just use wd40 to keep the chain clean if I apply it every 20-30miles, would this be better than proper lube being applied every couple of hundred miles

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

No. However often you spray it on, spray WD40 is not a lubricant.
Good for cleaning hubs and spokes though, in a rag.

Thanks duly noted. Do you think it’s worth cleaning the chain with wd40 before applying lube after washing or should I just dry the chain with a cloth and lube directly?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had a mate who used a jetwash and WD40 on his MTB after our muddy rides, the sort where you have to get undressed on the doormat. His chains lasted as long as mine.

Top Bottom