WD40 for the chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
any advice if one of my rear derailleur rollers is sluggish?
Spray WD40 is good: clean the RD and cage up as much as possible. Then . .
Most pulley wheels rotate on an axle which is a bolt from one side of the RD cage to the other.
Disassemble (note which was top and which was bottom) and clean. The pulley wheels will either have tiny bearings with a simple plastic seal on top (a) or they'll be Shimano type ones (b) with bushings - they 'fall apart' once out of the cage plates.
a) Prise off the plastic 'seal' with the tip of a sharp knife, push some grease in and click the seal back on. Repeat on other side.
b) Disassemble, clean, grease, and reassemble.
OR buy a new pair of pulley wheels (?$13).
put[ting] my chain back on my road bike last night . . . the 2 little bearings from the links [at each end of the chain] separated & fell on my basement floor - I was able to find them & put them [back] together
[Your text amended]
On losing chain end bits:
Derailleur chains have vestigial sleeves in the form of short collars on the side plates to support the roller on the outside. But during cleaning or, in extremis, repair at the roadside, the exposed 'inner link' roller can come off. At home/workshop this is a pain but can be sorted even if the roller is lost. By the road: less so, without shortening the chain (so it won't go large/large). Mitigation: carry a link and a half (1.5") of chain as well as a chain tool and a 'quicklink' (or two).

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
https://www.wd40.com/products/wd-40-bike-dry-lube/
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons

you must have a different connecting link to the quicklinks i use, so cant help with that.
in case there's any confusion, the roller bearings that fell off weren't on the quicklink. which is only comprised of 2 sides, ea. w/ a pin.

quick link.jpg

the roller bearings that fell out were part of the 2 links that were being joined

quick link 2.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
A drop of lube down my jockeys got me arrested.

Top Bottom