WD40 = RIM CLEANING: - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Today, the rims where looking a touch grotty on my Shimano basics (R500's - which have been really good BTW :o) so I got out the, well its just to the right of the shed should I need it, THE WD40 sprays it around the rims (w.out tyres) & wipeed 'em down...

ABRACADABRA - :biggrin:

Clean rim, now I've done this b4 and this is what happened.

the breaking went shoot hot ;)

But the effect wears off (geddit - wears off :wub: )...and goes normal'ish but still has a bite.

Now I'm sure someones gonna come along and tell me my rim 'will be evaporating in time...:o)

Though, the rim comes up real nice.... :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are do-in any stuff - use car alloy cleaner.......... bang-in'......

Otherwise... car shampoo - like not fairy liquid.......... sorted...........

PS Manc / Liv speak.......... :ohmy:

In English for everyone - just wash the bike...that's it !

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

fossyant said:
If you are do-in any stuff - use car alloy cleaner.......... bang-in'......

Otherwise... car shampoo - like not fairy liquid.......... sorted...........

PS Manc / Liv speak.......... :ohmy:

In English for everyone - just wash the bike...that's it !

Can yuh translate this strange language english (just wash the bike) - never heard o that Foss lad :biggrin:

Top mate :ohmy:

02GF74

Über Member
hmmmm .... you a re using what is effectively a lubricant on rim braking surface????

not sure if I would recommend that but makes sure you wipe all of it off.

I just use a toothbrush and water/wshing up liquid.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You used WD40 on your rims????
Right. Just use grease next time - the effect will last longer.
Or disconnect the brakes and have done with it!!!!!!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

02GF74 said:
hmmmm .... you a re using what is effectively a lubricant on rim braking surface????

not sure if I would recommend that but makes sure you wipe all of it off.

I just use a toothbrush and water/wshing up liquid.

No, its NOT a lubricant - read the can !

TheDoctor said:
You used WD40 on your rims????
Right. Just use grease next time - the effect will last longer.
Or disconnect the brakes and have done with it!!!!!!

Do you seriously mean this !

Ever heard of Plain english ? thedoctor

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There was another thread somewhere on CycleChat warning folks NOT to use WD40 as a lubricant. The reason it frees off stuck nuts etc is 'cos it contains solvents...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
if only you had a raleigh you would be so good i use just about anything on my rims just tip fairy liquid on if its really bad swarfega is crap on rims to clean so dont use that
how copper grease is good for brakes on a car to stop them squeeling will they stop brakes on bikes squeeling aswell as there are a few people around here with squeeling brakes they are really bad so would a little bit of this on the brake block work good aswell my brakes are fine though i dont even touch them just use them and they dont squeel or anything good bikes raleigh are

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
pastaman said:
if only you had a raleigh you would be so good i use just about anything on my rims just tip fairy liquid on if its really bad swarfega is crap on rims to clean so dont use that
how copper grease is good for brakes on a car to stop them squeeling will they stop brakes on bikes squeeling aswell as there are a few people around here with squeeling brakes they are really bad so would a little bit of this on the brake block work good aswell my brakes are fine though i dont even touch them just use them and they dont squeel or anything good bikes raleigh are
:boxing:

Joe24

Gerry Attrick said:
is that a yes or a no? says on my tub of copper grease you can use it to stop brake squeel so why wont it work on bikes?
also why is it that when you take a rear wheel drived cars back axle off the ground then accelerate one wheel turns one way the other turns the other but it doesnt do this on the ground

Cubist

Still wavin'
pastaman said:
is that a yes or a no? says on my tub of copper grease you can use it to stop brake squeel so why wont it work on bikes?
also why is it that when you take a rear wheel drived cars back axle off the ground then accelerate one wheel turns one way the other turns the other but it doesnt do this on the ground
Etymology 1
Middle English cok, from Old English cocc, an onomatopoeia akin to Old Norse kokkr "cock", reinforced by Old French coq and cocorico, also sound-imitative.
[edit] Noun

Singular
cock
Plural
cocks

cock (plural cocks)
  1. A male bird, especially a domestic fowl.
  2. Male chicken or other gallinaceous bird.
  3. A valve or tap for controlling flow in plumbing.
  4. The hammer of a firearm trigger mechanism.
  5. (slang, vulgar) The penis.
  6. (curling) The circle at the end of the rink.
  7. The state of being cocked; an upward turn, tilt or angle.
  8. (British, pejorative, slang) Guess what I deleted here?.
  9. (informal, British, Tasmanian) An informal term of address. All right, cock
  10. A boastful tilt of one's head or hat

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
OK right. I see where you are coming from.
The reference to the use of copper grease to stop brake squeal relates to the use of the stuff on the back of car brake pads. This damps vibration and hence squeal.
Your second question is due to the function of the differential. That is the part of the car which allows the outer wheel during a turn to revolve faster than the inner wheel, thus reduces transmission wind up and tyre wear. When both wheels are off the ground, the mechanism is in an extreme condition, the effect being as you describe. If you want a more detailed explanation, then try Wikepedia.

Joe24

well arent you helpful mate can you not just answer the question instead of being the word that you are telling me about or is that too hard mate

Joe24

Gerry Attrick said:
OK right. I see where you are coming from.
The reference to the use of copper grease to stop brake squeal relates to the use of the stuff on the back of car brake pads. This damps vibration and hence squeal.
Your second question is due to the function of the differential. That is the part of the car which allows the outer wheel during a turn to revolve faster than the inner wheel, thus reduces transmission wind up and tyre wear. When both wheels are off the ground, the mechanism is in an extreme condition, the effect being as you describe. If you want a more detailed explanation, then try Wikepedia.

Thank you very much mr gerry attrick thats very helpful

Top Bottom