WD40 = RIM CLEANING: - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
WD40 is very good at removing lubricants and grease from chains and bearings, but not as good as a proper degreaser, so probably does the same on braking surfaces.

I use it as a cleaner. It's very good for getting tar splashes off (bike and car) when roads have been tarred and gritted. That's the only time the stuff gets anywhere near my bikes.

Generally for cleaning the bikes, including rims, I just use car shampoo, or fairy liquid if they're really filthy. Try to keep the detergent off the transmission, and always do a full lubrication afterwards.

02GF74

Über Member
yenrod said:
No, its NOT a lubricant - read the can !

I said what "effectively" is a lubricant.

Try it on an item that needs lubticating and it does act as a lubricant, maybe not thje best lubricant but still does some lubticating,

Garz

Squat Member
Pastaman that is pure violation of English grammar..

regarding WD40, after a while it would mainly evaporate just give it a quick wipe with a rag though before you go for a ride.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've used lighter fluid on my discs, and that seems to work pretty well. I was shocked to find baby wipes left a residue. They've been brilliant everywhere else (even on baby) but make my brakes juddery. Damn.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Joe24 said:
well arent you helpful mate can you not just answer the question instead of being the word that you are telling me about or is that too hard mate

Because I'd already sussed you you silly little tosser:evil::wacko:

jimboalee

Do not, repeat DO NOT spray WD40 on your rims.

The spray gets down the spoke nipple threads and they will all loosen in their own sweet time.

Just wait.....

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Wow.....Pastaman has transformed into Joe24. Pretty neat trick though!

Top Bottom