We are having a power flush today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Woe me, no, not yet.
Scottish water drain man has been, the toilet stack is inside, behind a wall, told me to call a drainage company.
They have been, need to come back tomorrow morning with a water vac, as they will flood everything :eek: xx( :cry:
I will leave them to it, go to work, clean up the mess when I get back.
Bucket for me, and no flushing for upstairs!
Get pictures, now and as the work progresses.

Can't quite work out how they'll "flood everything", as the hose should be fed into the pipe & collected or drained off outside.

Lozz360

Veteran
Scottish water drain man has been, the toilet stack is inside, behind a wall, told me to call a drainage company.
Scottish Water is your water company? It sounds like the blockage is on a waste pipe that is common with your neighbours. Otherwise it wouldn’t back up into your toilet. If that’s the case, it’s the water company’s responsibility to fix it not yours. At least that’s how it works south of the border.

U

User6179

Scottish Water is your water company? It sounds like the blockage is on a waste pipe that is common with your neighbours. Otherwise it wouldn’t back up into your toilet. If that’s the case, it’s the water company’s responsibility to fix it not yours. At least that’s how it works south of the border.

Scottish waters responsibility is the main sewer providing its a public sewer, from what Pat says the block must be below her toilet in the soil pipe but before the waste enters the sewer, so a private matter.

Lozz360

Veteran
Scottish waters responsibility is the main sewer providing its a public sewer, from what Pat says the block must be below her toilet in the soil pipe but before the waste enters the sewer, so a private matter.
Is it different in Scotland? Down here if it is a shared waste, even if on private land it is the responsibility of the water co.

U

User6179

Is it different in Scotland? Down here if it is a shared waste, even if on private land it is the responsibility of the water co.

Must be, had Scottish water out at mates when I was doing some work for him 4 months ago , the sewer was choked, the Scottish water guy cleared it all but wouldn't clear the traps for a shared rainwater pipe, we eventually crossed his hands with silver to get the job done, 5ft deep and filled too the top with dirt and stones by previous neighbours kids:wacko:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Correct.
I will have to pay the other guy £108.
Can't quite work out how they'll "flood everything", as the hose should be fed into the pipe & collected or drained off outside.
Hose will be pumping 100psi of air into my toilet waste.
We don't know how much of the waste will come back up through my waste pipe.
I won't be there when they do it, because I'll have to go to work soon after they come tomorrow morning.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have my heating serviced annually, usually in October. I had one of those magnetic cleansers installed. Basically, returning radiator water gets pumped through a tube with a big magnet in it that draws out all the iron gunk.

U

User6179

I have my heating serviced annually, usually in October. I had one of those magnetic cleansers installed. Basically, returning radiator water gets pumped through a tube with a big magnet in it that draws out all the iron gunk.

There great as the radiators get older and start to corrode, also makes it easy to get more inhibitor into the system, when you are cleaning the crap off the magnet you can remove the water from the case with a sponge and add inhibitor:okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd be surprised, normally it's your problem until it hits the shared sewer, our comes out the back of the house, under the garage & meets the main sewer in the road, anything before the footpath is our responsibility on Severn Trent

U

User6179

I'd be surprised, normally it's your problem until it hits the shared sewer, our comes out the back of the house, under the garage & meets the main sewer in the road, anything before the footpath is our responsibility on Severn Trent

It is the same up here I think for houses that don't share a sewer until it hits the street and probably for new builds but for older houses Scottish water is responsible for shared sewers in private properties which are classed as a public sewer( it might need to feed 3 or more properties).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It is the same up here I think for houses that don't share a sewer until it hits the street and probably for new builds but for older houses Scottish water is responsible for shared sewers in private properties which are classed as a public sewer( it might need to feed 3 or more properties).
I'm unblocked! :wahhey:
Scottish Water man could not find the "stack" i.e. the sewer.
Private drain contractor found it: it was where I told Scottish Water man to check!
Cost me over 100 pounds, but on the bright side I know now all the drain pipes of the building, could even unblock the main sewer myself, like @Globalti suggested upthread.
Not that I would, mind, but I could :laugh:
If I'm lucky, I'll get some money back from the upstairs owners, this should be a shared repair.
I'm just happy it is solved.

Mrs M

Guru
Our hot water was playing up, a couple of visits from “the experts” didn’t help.
One guy was here for 3 hours and no improvement at all.
Got fed up and googled the problem, diverter valve.
Next visit diagnosed the problem, diverter valve, hooray! :okay: (was on standby with my google diagnosis) :smile:
All fixed but still not perfect.
Another engineer came out.
A wee red barrel in the boiler, can’t remember name, needed replaced.
Engineer did the job then said it was messy and complicated and no wonder nobody else wanted to do it!
Confirmed it definitely needed replaced. Top job from this engineer.
Why the previous engineers had not attended to this annoys me, it’s your job, we pay the service charges,
just get on with it.

Top Bottom