We need to get together on this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
As a country we sometimes seem to not speak the same language. This can lead to misunderstandings, accidents and worse- spoiled clothes.

A case in point. Where I come from a muffin is bread baked into a 'patty' as it were, between 4- 6" in diameter. O this many things can be served, and they're great for eggs and bacon.

Or chips.

Elsewhere in the county a muffin can be either a 'hand cake' or a bread patty about three inch diameter which is only suitable for serving preserves and as transport for butter.

This can lead to issues. In Kendal this morning I wandered into a cafe and asked for a brew and a bacon and egg muffin, expecting universality to kick in and to be presented with a -muffin- filled adequately with pig and egg. But no, it was a midget job, and when I bit into midget job, warm yolk burst and squirted down. Me new jumper and jeans. This wouldn't have happened had we spoke the same language.

I don't care if it's a muffin, breadcake, stottie or whatever but please- PLEASE- can we get our sh it together on this.

I've gotta walk round Kendal for the next four hours now with smeared egg down me top ffs.

/rant.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another reason why I don't like eggs

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not sure if this is the thread to post this in but... this morning I was in Kendal doing last minute Xmas shopping and to my horror I spotted someone with egg smothered around their mush, down their jumper and their jeans wandering amongst the crowds. Can you believe that?

Why we are letting riff-raff like this into our lovely little town is beyond me.

I blame Brexit.

Which establishment did you frequent?

Get yourself to Sue's burger van on the square in Milnthorpe. Proper food, proper breakfast. A local institution and less than 20 minutes from kendal, a lot less if you're a local!

Willd

Veteran
And anyone who serves up a burger in a brioche bun should be hung, drawn and quartered :stop:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Morrison's supermarket please take note. With all your centralisation of suppliers I know how this happens, but can you not at least use local names on the labels? I don't buy "baps". They look similar to "rolls" but I'm not taking the chance!! :okay:

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Not sure if this is the thread to post this in but... this morning I was in Kendal doing last minute Xmas shopping and to my horror I spotted someone with egg smothered around their mush, down their jumper and their jeans wandering amongst the crowds. Can you believe that?

Why we are letting riff-raff like this into our lovely little town is beyond me.

I blame Brexit.
Not bad!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I like the diversity of a multitude of names for the same thing.

I remember ordering a filled bread product from a sandwich bar / cafe in Nottingham and being asked whether I wanted batch, barm or something or other, so i asked her to hold them up whilst i pointed.

after "all right me duck" I felt compelled to respond "I asked for ham, mustard and salad, chuck".

It all worked out fine.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I was so discombobulated I've forgotten

The Union Jack down at the arse-end of Kendal is the place to go.

Some of the Cafes in the centre of town (which is not too far from the arse-end) have gone a bit 'London' with their pricing.

Could be worse though - Bowness prices are off the scale.

Sorry I can't do smileys - they appear to have gone on strike due to, presumably, some Chinese gubbins glitch in my phone.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Top Bottom