We need to get together on this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I remember ordering a sausage sarnie in Coventry and it came on two slices of bread. Apparently I should have asked for a "batch" if I wanted it on a bread cake (cob, roll etc)

I live in Coventry and once caused chaos in a cafe in Dudley by asking for a bacon batch.

Jody

Stubborn git
This may help some people or provoke more debate....

Don't do it.

Not true. Cupcakes were around when I was a kid and was about 1/8th the size of the modern monstrosity that is the standard offering these days. No wonder there's so many fat arses about

Including mine.

They were around years ago but I was more pointing at cup cakes sold by the enterprising youth and wedding planners. It's basically a small muffin with a bit of butter cream on the top but 4x the price it should be.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was more pointing at cup cakes sold by the enterprising youth and wedding planners. It's basically a small muffin with a bit an excess of butter cream on the top but 4x the price it should be.
...and generally the cake bit is stale and tasteless. A triumph of marketing over product. Give me my mam's "Butterfly buns" any day
1640095866025.png

Willd

Veteran
Not seen any batches round here (must be in the posh south of Warwickshire), we do have stotties though :rolleyes:

1640097505798.png

colly

Re member eR
Not any more I'm nit!
You are the policeman from 'Allo Allo' and I claim my five pounds.

Alex321

Veteran
Don't be silly:laugh:. the clue is in the name ending in muffin. Savoury cup cake? I think not.:laugh:

I was merely explaining Muffins. :okay:

This may help some people or provoke more debate....

View attachment 623088
The really confusing thing being that many of those words mean something else in another part of the country.

"Cob" for instance means a hard crusty roll to me (even though I was brought up mainly in the East Midlands) rather than the soft "bap" type roll. And "Roll" encompasses all types of small bread product below the size of a baton while "batch" is often a small to medium sized loaf.

Teacake in many areas is a soft roll with raisins in it, usually eaten toasted.

Good attempt at pedantry but this is an often-held myth; both terms are equally applicable to the flag of the UK.
Aaah not if you believe in keeping it with the original names. Union Jack started to be used interchangeably in the 1700s iirc but originally it had a different use for naval use on a certain pole at the front of the vessel and for certain uses I think. Jack post or Jack pole i think it's called. Hence the switch from union flag to union Jack.

Personally I actually prefer the look of the first union flag without the saltire of Saint Patrick. For no other reason than I think it looks better, less cluttered if you ask me.

Quiz question on flags. What us state still has a foreign flag as part of it?

Top Bottom