We really are fighting a losing battle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yesterday I was riding home from work, pootling along Red Lodge Road, through Park Langley Golf Course, probably doing about 22mph.

Coming in the opposite direction, and being the only car in the vicinity, was an individual in an open topped Mazda, who honked his horn at me in order to ostentatiously point that I should be using the shared pedestrian/cycle path, strewn with mulch and other crap off the trees, on the other side of the road (his side).

Needless to say, my response was not along the lines of "good point, well made".

In such circumstances when someone is passing by in a car, there are issues with time constraints; so I find that a retort has to be concise and to the point. "F*** you!" usually does it for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's a contradiction, I came here for an argument.
No you didn't. :rolleyes:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Why do we still have people posting things such as this:

"On the subject of road safety, I see now that the weather is improving we are once again subject to 1000’s of fat middle aged Bradley Wiggin’s wannabees in their silly plastic suits causing wholesale congestion on our roads. They are an absolute shower and should be made to have a form of ID on their little bikes so that they can be identified and prosecuted as required."

On local political blogs such as this: http://onlinefocus.org/?p=19334#comment-235218

Attitudes like this seem to be increasing and I worry it translates into how we get treated on the road.

I should just let it go but this type of thing really winds me up so I had to reply (all replies are moderated in advance and mine is awaiting moderation)

Just wanted to vent a bit sorry
Truth is now the weather has improved we will see a huge rise in the number of MAMILS out riding, often with little knowledge of genuine cyclecraft and often with a mindset almost identical to that of a typical UK driver, for that is what most of them are, most of the time.

Do said nobbers cause congestion? At certain times and in certain honeypot locations? Certainly. Surrey Hills I'm looking at you. Does this frustrate nobbers in cars. Absolutely. Are said nobber entitled to express their frustration and, as you put it "vent" on social media? Of course.

Does any of this translate into how "we", whoever "we" are, get treated on the roads by "them". Nope. Nobbers are nobbers, individually.

Don't let nobberdom on the interwebs wind you up. And don't give in to barking conspiracy theories of the "them vs us" variety. There is no "us". there is no "them" just a lot of individuals interacting in a shared road space.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
People moaning about too many (new) cyclists. :rolleyes:
In my case people moaning about too many occasional, all the gear but no idea, fair weather, blokes on bicycles, riding like nobbers in my back yard, in team kit.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I often drive down to a place in Surrey and on my way I often come across groups of cyclists. When I'm driving they are an extra hazard that I have to worry about and which slows me down. To be honest I'd rather they all stayed at home while I'm driving there. Just as I find it irritating that people have the temerity to get up as early as me and get on the early train and take all the seats, and then hang around blocking the escalators and walkways in the stations. I'd prefer them all to get the bus, or go somewhere else.

I don't think it's got anything to do with new cyclists, or lack of road skills. A well disciplined small group is still a bit annoying I still have to slow down and wait for a safe passing place. I'd really rather not have to do that when driving. I want clear roads just for me, thank you very much. Creating another out-group of "MAMILS" is just a dodge so that we can feel smug and say "at least it's not us, it's them".

We live on a crowded island and get in each other's way. Sometimes people get annoyed and vent their annoyance on social media. Me, I'd chop one ear off anyone who stands on the left of an escalator. That'd learn 'em.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did you know that there are moves afoot to stop that age-old practice? Apparently people can be transported to the platforms more quickly overall if people stand on both sides of the escalators and fill them up, rather than politely leaving one side empty for the odd person who wants to run up. Who'd a thort it? :smile:
Nooooo!

(Actually, it makes sense. One of the train transfers I do is very busy and the crowd naturally makes its own decision somehow to use both sides)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 4266750, member: 9609"]@Dogtrousers @User13710
can you explain the escalator thing[/QUOTE]
There are signs on the escalators on the London Underground saying "please stand on the right". This is so anyone who wants to walk up (or down) the stairs can do so unimpeded, while at the same time anyone who wants to let the escalator take the strain and stand can do so without other people squeezing past. This works fine when the escalator has a light to medium load of people, and it keeps everyone happy. But when there's a huge load of people the most efficient way of moving everyone is to use the escalator's maximum capacity and stand on both sides. To the frustration of those (like me) who like to walk up and down.

The escalators at Holborn mentioned in the trials referenced by @ianrauk are monsters, they are really long. Even dedicated escalator-walkers like me take one look at them and decide to stand.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Did you know that there are moves afoot to stop that age-old practice? Apparently people can be transported to the platforms more quickly overall if people stand on both sides of the escalators and fill them up, rather than politely leaving one side empty for the odd person who wants to run up. Who'd a thort it? :smile:
The norm, peak time, in sthlm.

Top Bottom