Wearing earphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

Out in the car today and came up behind a 'proper' cyclist, all the gear on bright jacket lovely road bike and his ipod connected firmly to BOTH EARS! He had no idea I was behind him. We were on a quiet country lane with no room for me to pass, even when I gently sounded the horn he didn't hear. When I eventually managed to get alongside him he looked at my in surprise and extended one finger to me in a less than friendly manner. We need all the friends we can get on our crowded roads these days and this gentleman was not helping!!
Malc

HovR

Über Member
even when I gently sounded the horn he didn't hear.

Erm.. Not sure it's possible to "gently sound the horn". Chances are he heard you fine, but generally a motorist sounding his horn at a cyclist just comes across as impatient.

OP
OP
malcermie

malcermie

Erm.. Not sure it's possible to "gently sound the horn". Chances are he heard you fine, but generally a motorist sounding his horn at a cyclist just comes across as impatient.
I disagree, if you give the horn a fast touch it emits a tiny noise nothing like a blast on it and in answer to the comment about not being room to pass I should have stated that he was near the centre of the lane, had he pulled to the edge I could have passed with care.
Malc

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Malc has a point. There is an aggressive way(long blast) to sound a horn and then there's the little touch/pip which is there to alert but not startle the other road user.
Surely hearing and vision are essential to ride a bike safely and to show courtesy to other road users in not expecting them to make allowances for the cyclists lack of safety awareness.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Malc, may I direct you to http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/helmet-headphone-debates.19/ You make fair points and I agree entirely however there are others on the dark side that do not and it can get very messy. In the same catagory are topics such as "Helmets" ,"Red light jumping" and "Riding on the pavement"

Perhaps we should add an 'impatient driver expecting everyone to get out of his way' topic as well.

Reactions: 4F

Pauluk

malcermie said:
I should have stated that he was near the centre of the lane, had he pulled to the edge I could have passed with care.
He may have been riding in primary to stop you overtaking in a risky place. How much into the gutter did you want him to go and how close to him would you have been if you could have overtaken. You say with care, so it doesn't sound as if it was safe to do.

Having said that I wasn't there and I agree, headphones in use on a bike is pretty dumb IMO, but may be he didn't have them on very loud.

pshore

I disagree, if you give the horn a fast touch it emits a tiny noise nothing like a blast on it

I've had a few pips aimed at me over the years, and if close they can still be surprising and startling.

The horn is installed in the front grill and can get very close to the cyclist. The driver may not realise quite how loud they are because they are behind sound proofing. You can test this out by standing in front of your own vehicle and getting someone else to operate the horn.

Unintentionally, you may have appeared to force your way past.

What cars need is polite tinkly bell sound. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh I do note you are a "beginner cyclist" as you mentioned this in one of your posts. There is a good reason folk don't gutter hug, especially on country lanes.

I shall explain.

If you ride in the gutter, this invites cars to pass when it's not usually safe and it also gives the cyclist no room to get out of trouble. Plenty of drivers pass to close and cut in early, if the cyclist has no room to sweve left to avoid being struck, they will come off.

I shall add this scenario.

1. You are driving down a country lane, see a cyclist and think there is room to overtake, it looks clear. As you pass, a car appears from round a bend, you squeeze back in and cyclist ends up in a hedge (at best).

2. You are driving down a country lane, see a cyclist and think there is room to overtake, but he is in the middle of the lane. A car comes round the bend and no-one ends up hurt. You have to wait a minute until the road is sufficiently wide and clear that you can pass safely.

See ? At least it was just the 'finger'. :ninja:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom