Weather question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I was considering commuting by bike tomorrow as it looks like it's going to rain heavily in my area from ab0ut 3am onwards. This tends to mean there won't be any ice doesn't it? Or does it?

If i remember rightly my Geography teacher said the clouds act as a 'blanket' and so it doesn't get so cold. Or am i completely wrong?

ratty2k

No ice tomorrow. Plenty of rivers that weren't here today tho...........

Brock

Hmm the Met office is forecasting heavy rain and 62mph gusts for my area tomorrow.. Should make the commute interesting :biggrin:

ratty2k

I'm not going to show you the current state of my bike! Commuting down a gravel track and canal towpath soon ruin any prvious washing so I tend only to lube the chain.

levad

Veteran
I took up scuba diving this mornig. Set off at 6am and it poured all the way. A couple of places already flooded accross the road. I was pleased to find that, after 13 miles, I was wet on the outside but only slightly damp on the inside.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
same here..got to work fairly dry, just slightly damp shoes. A couple of points where the road had flooded from poor drains... Lots of deep puddles. Took some lubs with me this morning to give the chain and mechs a quick squirt. Like the challenge of seeing how dry I am at the end of the ride......

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
Heavy rain...lets see if I can get to work reasonably dry - more bike cleaning and lubing tomorrow night.....
Slightly Off-topic so apologies, but how often should I clean/lube the new chain I've put on (thanks to your help)? Once after every wet ride? At least once a week?
Also, I bought some muc-off chain lube instead of oil. The guy in the LBS said it was good stuff.
Cheers.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Everybody at work thought i was mad to cycle today, but rain equals no ice.I did get wet though (but not cold). My new altura winter vision gloves got soaked.

Really enjoyed the ride - hope it rains again tomorrow (or is at least warm enough for me to cycle)

Maz - after each wet ride is ideal

Tynan

Veteran
steady rain and gusty, first test for the Diadora Chillies, certainly warm although it was mild, and certainly not water proof although socks were only the dry side of damp

Maz

Guru
My feet got soaked. very squelchy. Road under the bridge always gets flooded in weather like this. Good job I keep a spare pair of socks at work.

ratty2k

Nice and toasty this morning! Have a pair of Northwave Celsius GTX boots, feet were bone dry. A Gill Freedom jacket and a pair of Berghaus waterproof pants I got in the sales.
Boots can obviously overtopped but the pants over the ankle opening stops that.

Maz

Guru
Keith Oates said:
Snow and ice here this morning so bike was feeling tired and decided to stay in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bikes are always tyred. And why did you stay in the garage?

Top Bottom