Weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mummy3monkeys

I am trying hard not to be a fair weather cyclist and I really need to get out on my bike, but!!
Thurs I planned to go out and it poured with rain, last time I got wet I was so cold.
Plan to go out this morning, the wind sounds very strong, and forecast says 30mph.
Husband says I need to man up and get out there, me, I am not so sure..

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm off out now - it's blowy!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't see the point in riding in the strong wind when you don't have to. If it was a commuting day I probably would but I don't see what I would enjoy today. Wait for a gap if the weather then go for it, it is unlikely to stay this windy all weekend is it? (Not seen the weather forecast that's just me hoping for the best).

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Riding in a strong wind can be quite dodgy. A headwind is just wearing, bad enough, but the sudden gusts from a side wind can throw a cyclist significantly offline. Bends in the road, farm gate or other gaps in a hedgerow can give one an unwelcome surprise too. I find the need to be constantly wary quite tiring, so I usually wait for calmer weather given a choice.
Take care!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Cycling is supposed to be enjoyable. If you aren't or won't then don't bother unless you have to. And it could be dangerous in winds like this, if your mind is on other things like thinking about how horrible the weather is.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Depends where you live though as well, I've found. I'm at the top of a hill and it's a bit blowy at times, but yesterday morning, having struggled through the winds and travelled around 2 miles, there was no wind at all. Nearly got blown off on the way down, mind, so I was about to turn back as it died down.

I'd give it a miss..I certainly am...don't fancy getting blown into an oncoming car!

Osprey

Guru
Riding in a strong wind can be quite dodgy. A headwind is just wearing, bad enough, but the sudden gusts from a side wind can throw a cyclist significantly offline. Bends in the road, farm gate or other gaps in a hedgerow can give one an unwelcome surprise too. I find the need to be constantly wary quite tiring, so I usually wait for calmer weather given a choice.
Take care!

I second this. I went out yesterday afternoon in the 25 - 30mph winds and even though I,m 15st and 6'2, the sudden side wind gusts blew me of line quite considerably and uncontrollably. If its just a leisure ride, sit it out and wait. Take a walk or run instead. :thumbsup:

mythste

Veteran
No busses to work on the weekend so I had no choice but to use my bike today. I find planning key,

Last night I got two possible outfits out and ready (weather dependent) made sure my lights/phone had plenty of battery, worked out breakfast times and got everything prepared for lunch.

Having to sort all that stuff out can be a burden in its own right and I find that taking the hassle out in the morning makes "manning up" for a ride a lot less difficult.

Top Bottom