Weed Killer......which is best? has anyone tried white vinegar ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Usually it isn't the same strength as is available to the industry.

The trade strength is even higher.

Yipee... Even more toxins, spread about our fragile ecosystems.

Monsanto (now Bayer) lost a lawsuit, brought by a long term user, in America whose cancer could be shown to be caused by prolonged use of glyphosate.

Why any one would voluntarily expose themselves to it in a home environment, is beyond me..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We had trade strength Gramoxone - paraquat - at the farm when I was growing up.

It was used heavily diluted in a sprayer mounted on the back of a tractor.

Truly lethal, a couple of court cases involved farmer's wives who used it to murder their husbands.

A teaspoonful in his gravy was all it took.

pawl

Legendary Member
If you have plants you want to keep you could have problems Otherwise path clear is as good as any.If you do want to plant the beds look for one that is neutralised when it comes into contact with the soil Alternative s, cover with black polythene .it starves the weeds of lights If you do not intend planting add another two inches of gravel which will inhibit growth and make removing by hand easier Deep rooted weeds such as Dandelion if not removed when they are small can be a problem
There are available touch weed killers a bit like an under arm deodorant you could use on individual weeds

I made two alpine gravel beds.Laid a porous membrane , cut slots to plant through then covered with gravel.

That could be an alternative for you.Spray the weeds .Cover with membrane and lay fresh gravel.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the beds

screenman

Legendary Member
The trade strength is even higher.

Yipee... Even more toxins, spread about our fragile ecosystems.

Monsanto (now Bayer) lost a lawsuit, brought by a long term user, in America whose cancer could be shown to be caused by prolonged use of glyphosate.

Why any one would voluntarily expose themselves to it in a home environment, is beyond me..

I have given a lot of thought to that over the last few weeks since I was told about the effects, which is why I am seriously considering going back to salt or a burner.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have given a lot of thought to that over the last few weeks since I was told about the effects, which is why I am seriously considering going back to salt or a burner.

Good,

Neither of which have zero effect, of course, but perhaps a little more quantifiable.

All these dodgy chemicals we managed without quite well enough for centuries.

Now we have more alternatives, and can design systems to, make toxic weedkiller unnecessary.

it takes a bit of thought, and change of mindset from the "everything must die" "control and destroy" nature mentality, but it can be done..

classic33

Leg End Member
Good,

Neither of which have zero effect, of course, but perhaps a little more quantifiable.

All these dodgy chemicals we managed without quite well enough for centuries.

Now we have more alternatives, and can design systems to, make toxic weedkiller unnecessary.

it takes a bit of thought, and change of mindset from the "everything must die" "control and destroy" nature mentality, but it can be done..
Takes a bit of time as well, but that can't be bottled and sold. No profit in that.

classic33

Leg End Member
In the case of the Russian vine I tripled up the strength. The wretched plant was taking over our garden at an alarming rate.
A pint of diesel added per five gallon budget(knapsack sprayer) of the stuff.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I got some Sodium Hypochlorite, from a factory that makes it and other much nastier things, as we do work for them. I'm not sure what concentration it was, but I diluted it with about 3 parts water in a watering can. Poured it on the hardcore drive full of grass and crap in the rented house I'm currently in, it was bleached and dead in about 30 minutes. It's cheap also.

In a previous job where we used to use loads for evaporative cooling towers, people always were taking some home for patio's etc. I am guessing that household bleach is not as powerful

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yeah but have you seen the gravel drive and patio at Stonehenge?

Yeah I know.. Those poor Welsh types dragging those boulders all that way..

Only to have them sneered at by the ungrateful English.. They really shouldn't have bothered :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Takes a bit of time as well, but that can't be bottled and sold. No profit in that.

Thankfully there's, some profit in it for me.

From those who appreciate having their food grown in a less toxic environment.

But zero profit for Bayer, from the likes of me, so of course they'll rubbish it as a viable production method.

Oh, but I appear to have been growing and selling very productively this way, for over fifteen years now.

OK so it's hard work sometimes, but I spend zero on gym fees :smile:

Top Bottom