Weight distribution when freewheeling on quick/downhill corners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
When cycling normally most of my weight is on my feet, some on the saddle and a little on the handlebars. When freewheeling there is obviously no power going through the pedals, but rather than increasing the weight on my saddle I seem to tense my legs into position to such an extent that with only a little more effort I could probably stand up off the saddle. Equally, putting all my weight on the saddle feels wrong, like I wouldn't be as nimble or the bike is more likely to slide from underneath me. Just reading all that back, the answer is probably 'somewhere in the middle'.

Anyone conscious of what they do when freewheeling?

Slick

Guru
When cycling normally most of my weight is on my feet, some on the saddle and a little on the handlebars. When freewheeling there is obviously no power going through the pedals, but rather than increasing the weight on my saddle I seem to tense my legs into position to such an extent that with only a little more effort I could probably stand up off the saddle. Equally, putting all my weight on the saddle feels wrong, like I wouldn't be as nimble or the bike is more likely to slide from underneath me. Just reading all that back, the answer is probably 'somewhere in the middle'.

Probably similar. Not sure if it's to be in a more active position or just to get my ass of the seat incase I hit a bump at speed. :eek:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Depends which contact is hurting more after x00k: my a**e or my feet. Share the opportunity to rest/reduce contact force between them.

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
When riding little to none of my weight is on the pedals unless standing, mostly it's going through the saddle with very little through the handlebars - I tend to just hold enough to control without actually leaning on the bars at all. So when freewheeling my weight distribution is broadly the same however when cornering I do consciously put more weight throught he pedal furthest from the road surface and shift my centre of gravity more centrally over the bike.

Sharky

Guru
On one of machines, when cornering, I position the pedals at 12 & 6 O'clock, with the 6'clock on the inside corner. I lift myself off the saddle and transfer all my weight onto the inside pedal. If a particularly tight bend, I will hook the back of my knee on the outside leg, over the cross bar and hold the whole of my body in a position about 1 foot away from the bike on the side of the corner. With this technique, the machine stays perpendicular to the road surface at all times thru the corner.

Anybody guess what type of machine I am riding?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
On one of machines, when cornering, I position the pedals at 12 & 6 O'clock, with the 6'clock on the inside corner. I lift myself off the saddle and transfer all my weight onto the inside pedal. If a particularly tight bend, I will hook the back of my knee on the outside leg, over the cross bar and hold the whole of my body in a position about 1 foot away from the bike on the side of the corner. With this technique, the machine stays perpendicular to the road surface at all times thru the corner.

Anybody guess what type of machine I am riding?
Tricycle innit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Most of my weight goes through the saddle and some through my arms though I make a conscious effort to avoid this.

When I'm descending I'll often move to the drops, push further back on the saddle and move my feet to three o'clock. This lowers the centre of gravity and improves stability. I realise speed can/will increase but that isn't the objective. Approaching a bend I look for the line which won't throw me out as I make the turn. I also look for my exit point from the bend which effectively steers me through the bend. I usually bring the inside foot to 12.00 o'clock.

Depending on the bend I may pedal through it or push as the bike begins to right itself on exit.

My weight only goes through my legs if I stand.

Sharky

Guru
Tricycle innit.
Almost right - a Tandem Trike!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Depends how fast, how bumpy, how twisty.
Normally I just sit on the saddle and use the opportunity to rest my legs. As speed increases like a fast descent then will lift my weight a littler more onto my legs and use my legs as shock absorbers in case of sudden road surface issues. Cornering then the outside pedal is at 6 O'clock and I put my weight onto that leg but keep my body in-line with the bike, but centre of gravity low.

Chapter and verse is here....

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/descending.html

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
When riding little to none of my weight is on the pedals unless standing, mostly it's going through the saddle with very little through the handlebars - I tend to just hold enough to control without actually leaning on the bars at all.

But when pedalling normally there will always be weight taken through the legs, reducing the load on the saddle, unless you're pedalling at a super-high cadence? Any resistance from the pedal to being moved will result in the leg bearing weight and reducing the weight through the saddle.

But the message seems to be though to relax the legs while freewheeling - I'm probably nervous about hitting bumps or slipping so trying to do the shock absorber thing but totally overdoing it. Will practise.

CXRAndy

Guru
Im normally doing this :biggrin:

As far back as possible, is my usual way. It keeps the rear of the bike loaded, as it tends to be naturally relatively less loaded than the front, whilst pointing down a hill, which can lead to twitching from the rear ( and of the bike as well) and increased likelihood of an unexpected ‘endo’ if you hit anything, if you don’t load the rear.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But when pedalling normally there will always be weight taken through the legs, reducing the load on the saddle, unless you're pedalling at a super-high cadence? Any resistance from the pedal to being moved will result in the leg bearing weight and reducing the weight through the saddle.

But the message seems to be though to relax the legs while freewheeling - I'm probably nervous about hitting bumps or slipping so trying to do the shock absorber thing but totally overdoing it. Will practise.

I don't agree with the first paragraph. The weight should be on the saddle as it is the power one's leg generates which is transferred through the pedals to create motion.

If weight were a factor then heavier riders, on a flat route, would be faster. Weight is only a factor in descending because it increases impetus but it doesn't increase power, often the reverse in fact.

Top Bottom