Weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

more shorter rides are better as you wont have to eat while riding so calorie defecit will be bigger, if you do a long ride youll need to eat more calories to get you through the ride

redcard

Veteran
Quite a few folk here pretending they have knowledge that they don't!

Ride more and eat less.
If you lose weight then keep doing it.
If you don't then eat a bit less.
Rinse and repeat.

Nebulous

Guru
Try mixing both - a 3 hour ride and 2 one hour ones! You need to run a calorie deficit, and exercise can play its part, but you may need to do more than you think.

The only other thought I had about the 3 hour ride versus 3 one hour ones is the effect on your metabolism. You haven't given a timescale, but if you are talking about doing them over a week then 3 sessions will help keep your metabolic rate up more than a single session will.

MattHB

Proud Daddy

Ride more and eat less.
Rinse and repeat.

This is the most sensible advice here so far. I did this and lost over 2.5 stone.

You don't need to get complicated about it. Weigh yourself once a week, under the same conditions, preferably with scales that show you changes in body fat. If you're leaner, keep doing what your doing, if not, ride more or eat less.

Also watch you're not over compensating for fuel burned. Most people VASTLY over estimate calorie burn then think they can have 2 dinners as its in the bank!

Aim to get leaner, not lighter.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
This is the most sensible advice here so far. I did this and lost over 2.5 stone.

You don't need to get complicated about it. Weigh yourself once a week, under the same conditions, preferably with scales that show you changes in body fat. If you're leaner, keep doing what your doing, if not, ride more or eat less.

Also watch you're not over compensating for fuel burned. Most people VASTLY over estimate calorie burn then think they can have 2 dinners as its in the bank!

Aim to get leaner, not lighter.
No it isn't.

Ride more and eat less.
Rinse and repeat.
How do you know the OP can actually eat less? All too often people on here (and other cycling forums) people post diets and it simply isn't enough intake. I don't understand how you can prescribe the solution without knowing the cause.

Your opening statement said a lot about you only.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
You'll need to explain how it's sensible advice to recommend eating less - when nobody knows what the OP eats in the first place.

:laugh:

he clearly says in the first line, 'ride more and eat less'... he wasnt intending to be accurate but was merely illustrating that it didnt need to be that complicated (which it doesnt).

why get so picky just for the sake of it? we get his point.

T.M.H.N.E.T

he clearly says in the first line, 'ride more and eat less'... he wasnt intending to be accurate but was merely illustrating that it didnt need to be that complicated (which it doesnt).

why get so picky just for the sake of it? we get his point.
Yes it clearly says "ride more and eat less" which people tend to take literally. Advice you cannot give until you know, what the person consumes in a day and how much the person rides.

When you're giving dietry advice it's always worth getting the facts before dispensing the "eat less move more" advice, often it isn't that simple and if it was - nobody would be overweight or obese.

Andrius.B

You'll need to explain how it's sensible advice to recommend eating less - when nobody knows what the OP eats in the first place.

:laugh:

There are only two possible reasons for being overweight which I can think of:
- weight related illness
- calorie imbalance (too much eating + not enough exercise)

The OP did not say anything about any weight related illness, hence I guess the extra weight built up because of too much food intake versus exercise, and if this is the case (let OP decide) then the obvious solution is to do the opposite: eat less + exercise (cycle) more. Takes a strong will, but that's the way to do it.

Edit: and by the way, there is no point to do more and more exercise to lose weight if you don't cut down the food input first. Instead of increasing your daily exercise by +20 min you could just not eat that chocolate bar, or eat 30% smaller dinner. And please don't say that by eating less you can deprive your body from energy, because as long as you are overweight, your body is getting more food than it needs to sustain you in relation to your current activity level.

T.M.H.N.E.T

There are only three possible reasons for being overweight which I can think of:
- weight related illness
- calorie imbalance (too much eating + not enough exercise)
- eating too little
Fixed that for you.

The OP did not say anything about any weight related illness, hence I guess the extra weight built up because of too much food intake versus exercise, and if this is the case (let OP decide) then the obvious solution is to do the opposite: eat less + exercise (cycle) more. Takes a strong will, but that's the way to do it.
You guessed as did others that the OP eats too much without the OP posting any form of dietry example. That is a pretty stupid thing to do when you all also advise to eat less and exercise more. None of us know exactly as yet what the story is,so to dispense advice is a tad premature.

In fact - the OP only wanted to know which was better 1x3hr or 3x1 hr rides. Truth is it doesn't matter if your diet is insufficient or crap - you will never outexercise it.

lulubel

Über Member
You lot are funny. You give people unsolicited advice (ie don't answer the question the OP asked), and then argue over whether the unsolicited advice was correct or not.

(I agree with T.M.H.N.E.T, by the way. Unless you know someone is overeating, advice to eat less is unhelpful at best, harmful at worst.)

Top Bottom