Weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I didn't realise my thread would cause so much discussion!!

For the record - i eat reasonably healthy but put on some weight about 4 years ago that i'm looking to lose - I am probably 2st overweight (14st vs 12st ideal) but its been constant for the past 4 years. I guess my intake is the same as my output hence the constant weight. What I'm doing now is introducing more exercise into the mix to try and lose it.

I'm currently doing 2x 1hr rides during the week with a longer one at the weekends - but was wondering if i was better off doing a even longer one at the weekends.

Badger, I was about a stone overweight before I cycled across Spain, I am 50 and 6'1" so it was no big deal but I wanted to shift it, I was cycling quite a bit and eating ok, my weight remained static, has done for over 2 yaers..

I read the calorie deficit comments, hmmm. I doubt if I ever ate anywhere near 2000 calories in a day for the first 2 weeks. Toast and cereal for breakfast, self made baguette with either tuna, cheese, or salmon along with fruit for lunch, in the evening maybe one small tapas, plate of olives maybe. I was cycling 6 hours a day regularly, some days more. I was running a huge calorie deficit every day. I felt good and I felt better with every day, if my cousin had have agreed I'd have happily upped the daily mileage as I was stopping when I didn't yet want to. Whilst cycling I only drank water and nibbled fruit. By the time I'd got to Seville I'd lost 5kg and I felt bleedin great! I was never tired and never lacked energy apart for one bad day entirely down to alcohol intake.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
ie: If your maintenance intake is 3000 per day - you deficit yourself to 2500 - then burn 1500 on a long ride. Don't you see how the maths doesn't work there? The deficit is huge and eventually unsustainable,you have to make that back up. You've essentially left 1000 calories for your body to run on for a day,that includes just breathing - working - recovering - mending itself. It will lead eventually to breakdown,very quickly if on a regular basis

3000! Are you having a laugh? I'm usually taking in between 1100 and 1600 calories per day, usually burn of 400-600 riding/jogging 4 times per week. I cant imagine anyone outside of elite sports people who need 3000 per day.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I am
3000! Are you having a laugh? I'm usually taking in between 1100 and 1600 calories per day, usually burn of 400-600 riding/jogging 4 times per week. I cant imagine anyone outside of elite sports people who need 3000 per day.
I am consuming around 3k per day at the moment. I figure about this amount to maintain, maybe a slight loss.

BSRU

A Human Being
An average guy requires 2500 calories a day, a British Army daily ration pack is 4000 calories, less than 1000 and you would be starving yourself.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
An average guy requires 2500 calories a day, a British Army daily ration pack is 4000 calories, less than 1000 and you would be starving yourself.

Amazingly, Im not in the army nor am I built like your average squadie (a lot less muscle bulk to carry about)

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Congratulations you're undereating!

Aye, thats what you do to lose weight.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
what, under-eat..?

Yes, eat less that I used to. I used to eat about 2.5k per day, ballooned to almost 16st. Now, controlling intake I have dropped to just over 11st. Not rocket science. Unless you are really really active, you dont need 2.5k or 3k calories per day.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes, eat less that I used to. I used to eat about 2.5k per day, ballooned to almost 16st. Now, controlling intake I have dropped to just over 11st. Not rocket science. Unless you are really really active, you dont need 2.5k or 3k calories per day.
Eating less and undereating are very different things.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Eating less and undereating are very different things.

Rhetoric is all well and good, but you are not backing it up with anything. I've stated that currently I'm on about 1100-1600 per day, then burn between 400-600 4 times per week on short bike rides or runs. I've lost weight, I'm not ill, I'm functioning fine (in fact I've never had such... "focused" mental ability), leading a normal life fine (working 8-9 hours per day, looking after 2 young kids, looking after a house etc). If I went back to 2500 calories per day I would be massive again. That would be an extra 7500 per week!

Top Bottom