Weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

best way to lose weight is to have something you'll stick to, point eating like a rabbit if your not going to stick with it. generally try to eat better and cut out mars bars and fizzy drinks etc. enjoy your rides whether you choose lots of short rides or less long rides. if your enjoying what your doing you'll be more likely to stick to it

Andrius.B

I got it, finally. Eating more is the way to lose weight.

stephen.rooke

Hard to tell when your posts in this thread are contradictory bolleaux :cheers:

how are they. my posts were if you do a long ride, i.e 60 miles, your likely to be using energy bars etc to get through the ride so negating alot of the calories your burning.

if you cycle more shorter routes. i.e. 20 miles each day you can just have your normal meals without having anything extra so will lose more weight.

if someone chooses a diet that is healthier i.e. less calories but is unlikely to stick with it then there going to revert to there old ways. if they have a slightly higher calorie diet but something theyll enjoy the weight loss may take longer but itll stay off.

please tell me whats contradictory. ive lost 3 stone this year so should be allowed to have my say on the matter

stephen.rooke

and its slightly obvious that someone is joking when on a weight loss page they say there going to buy loads of chocolate

Andrius.B

just because a food has less calories does not mean it is healthy. A good died is more about balancing the nutrients. For example, eating a balanced diet with a correct amount of vitamins, fiber, minerals, fats etc that gives you 3000 calories a day is better for you and will make you gain less weight then a diet that is unbalanced and lacks vital elements/vitamins/etc which gives you 2500 calories a day. Why? Because an unbalanced diet will make your body systems (digestive system, endocrine system, etc) not as effective in their functions which will affect the way your body extracts, uses and stores energy.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
how are they. my posts were if you do a long ride, i.e 60 miles, your likely to be using energy bars etc to get through the ride so negating alot of the calories your burning
Don't you think during a 60mile ride it would be pretty important to replace some of the calories,especially given the chances of already being in calorie deficit? 80cals for a gel (High5) really is nothing over the latter part of a long ride,even if you take <insert number of> You have to eat it before you can burn it..

ie: If your maintenance intake is 3000 per day - you deficit yourself to 2500 - then burn 1500 on a long ride. Don't you see how the maths doesn't work there? The deficit is huge and eventually unsustainable,you have to make that back up. You've essentially left 1000 calories for your body to run on for a day,that includes just breathing - working - recovering - mending itself. It will lead eventually to breakdown,very quickly if on a regular basis

**A sustainable deficit is generally considered to be 1000cals per day made up of diet and exercise**

if you cycle more shorter routes. i.e. 20 miles each day you can just have your normal meals without having anything extra so will lose more weight.
No. Overall deficit is key the distance is irrelevant. If you have to consume some food on 2 70mile rides then why not? The net result is the same.

if someone chooses a diet that is healthier i.e. less calories but is unlikely to stick with it then there going to revert to there old ways. if they have a slightly higher calorie diet but something theyll enjoy the weight loss may take longer but itll stay off.
Healthier doesn't mean less calories,I would apply that term quicker to the source of the calories ie:the food. Huge deficits aren't on the longterm sustainable,they may show short term results but in the end people go back to their old habits. For similar reason I feel it is unwise to advise people to eat less when there is simply no way to know what they are consuming. I'm waiting for someone to do this and the OP revealing that he or she is anorexic(most likely not this thread but it will happen eventually somewhere). I can imagine such topic being interesting.

please tell me whats contradictory. ive lost 3 stone this year so should be allowed to have my say on the matter
Maybe contradictory was the wrong term. Lemme change it to "ill-informed"

Stonepark

Über Member
From the OP's point of view the correct answer is 3 rides of 1 hour duration, each ride ( 1 3hr or 3 1 hr) will use roughly the same calories (give or take a few) but the heightened metabolism following a ride persists for up to 24 hours after a ride and will continue to burn calories at a greater rate in expectation of further exercise forthcoming. Therefore 3 extended burn periods are better than 1.

I am building up to a 1 hour(10 miles) bike ride each day (not having been in the saddle for 10 years) and gaining too much body fat due to a sedentary office job. Last week with new bike was building up from 0 miles to 5 miles every second day (breaking in muscles, bottom and bike), this week 5 miles daily and then next week 5-10 miles daily and then see how I feel with 10 miles daily for a week and then increasing from there.

Once I have got up to a level I am happy at, with weekend extended rides I will be looking to build up my distances on a Saturday and having Sunday as recovery with no riding.

OP
OP
Badger1

Badger1

Veteran
I didn't realise my thread would cause so much discussion!!

For the record - i eat reasonably healthy but put on some weight about 4 years ago that i'm looking to lose - I am probably 2st overweight (14st vs 12st ideal) but its been constant for the past 4 years. I guess my intake is the same as my output hence the constant weight. What I'm doing now is introducing more exercise into the mix to try and lose it.

I'm currently doing 2x 1hr rides during the week with a longer one at the weekends - but was wondering if i was better off doing a even longer one at the weekends.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I didn't realise my thread would cause so much discussion!!

For the record - i eat reasonably healthy but put on some weight about 4 years ago that i'm looking to lose - I am probably 2st overweight (14st vs 12st ideal) but its been constant for the past 4 years. I guess my intake is the same as my output hence the constant weight. What I'm doing now is introducing more exercise into the mix to try and lose it.

I'm currently doing 2x 1hr rides during the week with a longer one at the weekends - but was wondering if i was better off doing a even longer one at the weekends.
Not strictly true, you may not be eating enough also.

If you have the time, then use it - make the weekend ride as long as possible. If you have 4 hours available, then pace yourself to 4 hours...

Top Bottom