Weight loss!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
help me out here!!

I'm getting bigger! I am eating a normal size diet, nothing too bad for me. nothing processed, fruit and veg. hardly anything fried. I don't eat sweets, chocolate or cake.

I cycle at least 3 times a week. at least 3 hours each ride at a brisk pace.
BUT i'm getting bigger, and heavier :biggrin:

any ideas for helping me keep the weight down?

MsMalfoy

Are you sure you're not just putting on lean muscle tissue?

Muscle does weight more than the same amount of fat.

dub-no-bass

Smaller portions of the same stuff, or, at least smaller portions of the stuff that isn't non-potato vegetables. Fruit's better than chocolate, but still has sugar in it, so opt for less fruit and more vegetables. I can't stress enough how great cherry tomatoes are.

Most of us eat portions which are waaay bigger than we need. Here's a guide:
http://www.tesco.com/health/food/healthy_eating/principles/portions.html

Or you could count it all up the weightwatchers way - count 1 point for every 70 calories and for every 4g saturated fat (so a 70 calorie biscuit with 4g saturated fat = 2 points), and don't eat more than 25 points in a day. You don't need to count points for any vegetable that isn't potato, parnsip or sweetcorn.
You will lose weight, promise.

jacob

Ive struggled with weight to,inn the end I joined weightwatchers up to now ive lost 5kg in 6 weeks:smile:Following something called the core plan which is good for us because it contains food with lots of water..No bread though:ohmy:Ive noticed the differance in my cycling allready.

Blonde

I can't eat bread (or sweets, chocolate or cake) anyway! You do lose weight if you used to rely on this stuff or even just on bread as your main carb food. You do need carbs for cycling though, so don't cut them out competely - eat brown rice, millet, barley, spelt, cous cous, wholemeal pasta etc. Yes, cutting down the portion size of meat and carbs and replacing with more veg will work. Vegetables are carbohydrate but are less calorific than pasta, bread etc and contain more water, so you will lose weight. Low GI food is the way to go to lose weight without feeling hungry, and without suffering any sudden drops in blood sugar levels which only make you want to scoff sugary things!

Don't worry about it so much - weight does go up and down anyway depending on the amount you've just eaten, how well hydrated you are and how much water you're retaining at any one time. Some foods (often bread and/or wheat) make some people retain a lot of water anyway, so if you are one of these people, and know what foods do this to you, don't eat them. It's possible too that you are simply hungrier after riding than previosuly, and so are over-compensating for spent calories by eating bigger portions post-excericse, so watch out for that. Keep at it! Good luck!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stop drinking beer! I find that makes a noticeable difference to my weight; I go through phases of drinking a bottle a night or none at all.

jacob

You can still drink beer of course ,but in moderation,say 6or 7 pints a week.The trouble with alcohol is it takes your self control away.ie after 8 pints of abbot ale that kebab seems a real good idea.

MsMalfoy

6 or 7 pints a week isn't exactly moderation, not if you're trying to lose weight, it's just empty calories.

Or are you being sarcastic?

jacob

No not sarcastic,6 pints of beer spread over a weeks not bad. You will still lose weight.No beers better of course .As is no chocalate ,no cheese ,no bread,ect...

Blonde

Yikes! 6 or 7 pints a week is tonnes - well it's over the government's recommended amount if you're female and going some even for a bloke. It does have a couple of hundred KCals per pint in it. I can't have any alcohol at all for the next few months and haven't drunk any for about a month already. Cant say I've noticed any weight loss, but then I only ever drank maybe one pint or two units a week before, anyway.

IME cutting out beer (changed to the occasional glass of red wine instead) made a big difference to my weight. I actually prefer wine as a tipple nowadays anyway.

MSMalfoy's comment about lean muscle tissue rings a bell here too.

Also agree with the comment of dub-no-bass about smaller portions.

Stick with it! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom