Weight Matter: A Study

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it is of any interest to anyone, I have just published the above study on bike weight/type and the effects on average speed achieved. The conclusions are particularly relevant to middle age, overweight men although these can be extrapolated more widely if desired.

Comments appreciated and future research participants/researchers welcomed.

Thank you.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Surprising how little difference considering the Rhigos is only half the weight.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Surprising how little difference considering the Rhigos is only half the weight.
Yep I know. But it felt more alive!

The Travelmaster is lovely and comfy and will carry all my touring gear with ease, i can use it in any weather and not be fussed at all but the Rhigos just felt so...responsive.

Still, only my subjective opinion and so something which is not suitable for such a high quality study as mine!

Tynan

Veteran
just changing tyres might add 2mph surely

|I'm a big lump on a heavy bike but always feel that once up to speed I go as fast as anyone else, that isn't a lot better than me natch

Is it a product of geometry a well. I moved from a road tyre rigid mtn bike to a road bike, an audax geometry one. 3.5Kg difference in weight and the difference in average speed was roughly 1.5 to 2mph.

Top Bottom