"Weight" training with my 10 year old son?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, had a quick search but nothing pertinent came up.

I see there's a few weight lifters on here so maybe some would like to add some input.

Briefly I used to train in a gym in my 20's and ended up buying a lot of free weights/ bench etc to do it at home instead, knocked it on the head 9 years ago with family etc but kept all the stuff.

My lads always been active and sporty and has been asking for a while about weight training and could I get the weights out for him to have a look at.

Got them out last Sunday and we did some exercises (he had a light dumbbells 1kg, 5kg on barbell), I said we'd do a set every other day and see how he gets on.

Anyway he's really into it now!, and to be honest it's nice to have a buddy to do it with as well; we do it straight after I get home from work rather than me slumping on the sofa.

I just don't want to stunt his growth or cause him an injury. The plan is to do the 5x5 stronglifts (squat, deadlift, barbell row, overhead press, bench press) but keeping the weights low to get his form and technique right.

He's that enthusiastic about it that it would be a shame to knock it all on the head but I've read so many mixed views good and bad I can't make my mind up..

rugby bloke

Veteran
I can only speak from a position as a rugby coach - our advise, based on what is passed on by the RFU, is no weights before 16. There are plenty of other activities you can do with your lad, using his own body weight as resistance. There are risks starting on weights at an early age.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, he can. However, many, including Arnold himself, advise against anything too heavy.

Start him out light, high reps, once he gains some experience let him move to a moderate load, perhaps 60% of his absolute one rep max, bit nothing beyond that without expert advice specific to him.

Good luck.

S-Express

I'd ask yourself the same questions in this context which apply before embarking on any other exercise programme: 'what benefits are you hoping for and what issues are you trying to address?

Generally speaking though, I would suggest aerobic exercise is going to be far more beneficial to him than weight training at that age.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I think the benifits are some good father and son time, learning the techniques and proper form etc.

He will not be throwing heavy weights around and I made that clear before we started.

Think low weight, high reps and the emphasis on proper form will give him enough to think about for now!.

S-Express

I think the benifits are some good father and son time

You can do that in MacDonalds. As mentioned earlier though, I just question the need for 10 year olds to weight train when the time could be better spent at a go-ride club or somewhere where he could get a more beneficial workout.

I think the benifits are some good father and son time, learning the techniques and proper form etc.

He will not be throwing heavy weights around and I made that clear before we started.

Think low weight, high reps and the emphasis on proper form will give him enough to think about for now!.
Keep it like that but take some advice from someone who knows about it.

My two got into climbing quite young and ended up being coached. The support of that coaching meant that there were certain things they were absolutely not allowed to do due to impact on joint formation and growth plates and the coaches were absolutely aware of this and very clued up on preventing injury and managing it when it occurred.

I can't stress enough how easy it is to do some long term damage at that age, whilst at the same time not wishing to discourage you or your son. But weight training, repetitive high joint impact exercise or anything above simply using your own body weight was out until they were past 16 and then introduced slowly. I don't know about weight training and what Drago says might be spot on but having seen some of the long term injuries kids heavily into sport can get, I'd exercise caution.

British swimming have just issued new guidelines for younger swimmers and gym work (although I doubt it goes as low as 10) so there is a new way of thinking but as been indicated already, some professional advice may be a good idea

Enjoy your time with your son.

Just as an aside, are there any other factors involved? Bullying or physical confrontation?

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Cheers for all the comments, much appreciated and a lot to think about!.

Ewan's perfectly happy at school, has lots of local friends and really enjoys anything sports/ exercise related. He does some fitness classes at school and even starred in the schools "Weggy Fitness Video".

I went to fathers day lunch at school and was collared by the head of PE, he said how impressed they all were with his attitude and his presenting skills!.

He loves to learn new things so it's all stemmed from there really..

Okeydokey

My daughter is 12 and has just joined the same gym I go to. She does not go anywhere near the weights. There are Concept rowers, Watt bikes, a weird cross trainer thing that looks like a step machine/ski'ier and a tread mill. She does the Parkrun thing every Saturday followed by a swim. Our agreement is simple, when she can't be arsed to do the Parkrun, I save on her gym membership.

Top Bottom