Weight training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbo891

does anyone have any training plans or actually do weight training? I'm talking about leg training only. I do upper body weights four times a week and going to do a leg day but wondered what pro cyclists would normally train in regards to legs! I want to train like a cyclist rather than a weightlifter!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
does anyone have any training plans or actually do weight training? I'm talking about leg training only. I do upper body weights four times a week and going to do a leg day but wondered what pro cyclists would normally train in regards to legs! I want to train like a cyclist rather than a weightlifter!
Theres your clue.

OP
OP
R

robbo891

Lol thanks. I know there's stuff online and I could google that but I wanted to discuss training plans with people on here and hear about recommendations etc

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't help, I train like a weight lifter. I am sure it gives an advantage on the one hand, which is then more than completely offset on the other by the extra 25kg of mass I carry. That's the price I pay for not wanting to be a scrawny runt.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess making sure all the muscles in your legs work properly on and off the bike work properly. It's not just about quads, but also calves, glutes, hamstrings. Core is crucial too so get training that, Pilates for example. Don't forget stretching and foam rolling of all the leg muscles too

I have big quads but nothing else works well (I also have one big calf but one skinny one after an accident). All of this is very bad for my knees, shoulders and back :sad:

One thing, you don't see pro cyclists with a big upper body muscles so if cycling is key, get out of the gym and ride your bike

Citius

Other than some light conditioning work (which may or may not be beneficial), there is little point in any gym work which focuses on increasing leg muscle strength. Endurance cycling is an aerobic sport, so if you want to be a better (faster, fitter) cyclist, then train on the bike.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I thought I'd find @Citius and @T.M.H.N.E.T here!

If you ask a pro cyclist what weight training he does he will do some core stability exercises (which actually don't need anything more than your body's weight as resistance) and that's all. Don't get confused by the weight training that track sprinters do. This weight training is to maximise their explosive power. Explosive power is useless to all cyclists except pure sprinters

If you want to be a faster cyclist (other than as a pure sprinter) getting rid of muscle mass is the way to go, not adding to it. That and stressing your cardiovascular system in the correct way to maximise your fitness

OP
OP
R

robbo891

Some nice suggestions here and will check them out! I'm thinking just doing a good general leg plan covering all the angles but not going crazy daft!

i do core work with fat burners, ab blasts and incorporate it into my routine. Pilates left me in bits though regarding my back so I've sacked that off. I also play 5aside and cycle a lot so there is some legwork in there but I just want to make them stronger.

I didn't think training on the bike would be enough but if so happy days!!!

Citius

Feel free to make your legs stronger if you want - but it really won't offer any benefit from a cycling perspective..

jnrmczip

Or he could ride his bike, for the same effect..
Indeed he could but if it's not convenient to ride for any reason and op wants to hit the gym then what I suggested would be fine.
I cycle and attend the gym still getting faster. Not going to the gym to build up and look like a pit bull just maintain muscle strength and endurance and tone up a little no harm with that.

Top Bottom