Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
You're doing OK, scots_lass. With the cycling exercise you are doing, you are building muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat :smile:. You would still be doing OK if you had put on a couple of pounds. ;) Same reason.

What you need to do is to measure yourself (with a tape measure) and start to record those measurements as well. The exercise you are doing will likely keep the weight much the same at the outset but your shape will start to change, the fat will be turned to muscle and you will emerge toned, strong, low-fat :smile: - and the weight will come off later. :biggrin:

... if this is what you want :biggrin:

scots_lass

Scoosh,
I love you for that! Thank you!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Riding at moderate intensity for about an hour?
Don't eat.
500ml bidon with a very small amount of squash to taste plus if it is hot then a tiny amount of salt.
Don't have a full blown Gatorade or Lucozade no matter what temptation.

NarcoticBunny

scoosh said:
You're doing OK, scots_lass. With the cycling exercise you are doing, you are building muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat :smile:. You would still be doing OK if you had put on a couple of pounds. :angry: Same reason.

Hey Scots_lass, this is very true, when i started at the gym with a trainer, she weighed me and recorded my body fat percentage every 4 weeks.
It was crazy, at one point i had gone up weight by a lot, but my body fat had dropped (i was doing weight training).

I have let it slide pretty badly since then, so i'm hoping cycling will pull my body fat down. I am hoping to lose 4st, so fingers crossed I stick to it :sad:

scots_lass

Well, 3 months down the line since I started cycling. Weighed 9st 10lbs before I started cycling and now after 500 miles I weigh 9st 9lbs!!!!! Suppose it is going in the right direction but a hard fought 1lb!!! Maybe I shall just have to change my mindset. Off to join a gym today to see if that helps but will keep cycling onwards!

potsy

Rambler
scots_lass said:
Well, 3 months down the line since I started cycling. Weighed 9st 10lbs before I started cycling and now after 500 miles I weigh 9st 9lbs!!!!! Suppose it is going in the right direction but a hard fought 1lb!!! Maybe I shall just have to change my mindset. Off to join a gym today to see if that helps but will keep cycling onwards!
Keep at it scotslass even if your weight don't change you must be getting fitter.I lost about 10lbs in the 1st few weeks but have hardly lost anything now for the last 4 weeks/500 miles.(might have something to do with all the junk i eat though:blush:)

slinky malinky

Scots_lass you are not the only one, i've been on the bike more than ever, went out replaced the old bike got a new one (well new to me (ebay)started sprint training, distance, hard climbs the lot, 5 times a week, clocking up about 10 hours + in the saddle, i'm 6'3" and 14 stone and have just not shifted a pound!!!!!NOT ONE OUNCE
However my heart rate at resting is now 56 bpm and I feel alot better no bingo wings, biggest problem of all though is if i can't ride for a day I get the serious blues, I think i'm addicted:smile:

scots_lass

Glad I am not the only one! I had visions of the weight just falling off me as I cycled! Oh well, Hopefully the gym will help!

nigelnorris

scots_lass I read your post from a month or two back. Now please don't take this the wrong way but the following occurs to me. You said that you had put on a stone, and wanted to lose it again and had started cycling. You also said that you hadn't changed your eating habits. Before exercise you were eating too much and putting on weight. Now you exercising and not putting on weight. Ergo you are only exercising enough to burn up the excess calories that you were eating in the first place.

I did something similar [only more so], put on loads of weight and ballooned up to 16 stone. Started commuting to work and for months just stayed at 16 stone, the exercise was working but only in the extent that it was stopping me from gaining any more weight. Somewhat disgruntled I put myself on a diet and started to do weekend miles, and that's when it clicked - I immediately noticed a difference and lost 2 stones in four months.

It probably sounds rude to be so blunt, and I really don't mean to be, but if your weight has been constant for several weeks then you have two options, either eat less or exercise more.

I've been on school holidays for the last 6 weeks and because I'm sitting about in the daytime eating out of bordeom then drinking most evenings just because I can and well it is the holidays etc etc I'm stuck at 14 stone again even though I've ridden something like 600 miles in those six weeks.

I'll be glad to go back to school :ohmy:

Bayerd

Über Member
Two months ago I weighed in at 16st 5lb (I'm 6ft, 37 yrs old). I have never really done any kind of exercise during my adult life after being very active as a child.

I figured it was time to do something about it, I've got a 4 month old daughter and want to be able to keep up with her as she grows.

Initially I cut down to one meal a day, which I kept up for one month. That lost the first stone.

3 weeks ago I was given a bike surplus to requirement by my brother in law.

The first time I rode I could barely do a mile (albeit a hilly mile) and was shocked as to how unfit I am. I have ridden almost every day since, just taking one day each week as a recovery day. I'm now up to 5 hilly miles a day and my recovery times and leg strength appear to get slightly better each time I go out.

I weighed myself this morning and came in at 14st 9lb, which gives me a BMI of 27.5. My target weight is 13st dead, which would give me a BMI of about 24.5. My waist has already come in 4 inches and I'm now eating 3 smaller portioned meals a day as I seem to feel fuller sooner. My vice is weekend ale, although even with this I'm currently losing approx 2lb a week. I've also swapped half my evening meat meals to fish.

I'd like to reach my target weight in November when I'll be 38.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.....

slinky malinky

Still no loss in weight!! although the girls and guys at work think my face looks drawn (i think they think i am ill) i managed to break my 10 miles in less than 30 minutes (which i know alot of you will think 'thats not quick') have given up on scales its not helping , now using tape measure, still addicted to the bike, having a day of rest (it is a sunday after all) but the squadra appears to be calling me!!!!! :rolleyes:

bonk man

slinky malinky said:
i managed to break my 10 miles in less than 30 minutes (which i know alot of you will think 'thats not quick')

Quick enough not to be called a slow coach and always get sent off first on a club 10 mile time trial..... If you are knocking off 10 miles in 30 minutes that is a reasonable level of cycling fitness so well done. . by the way, Sunday is not a rest day, it is club ride day:smile:

I don't think I have lurked on this thread yet so here is my contribution, and I have said it before about losing weight; GIVE UP DAIRY AND MEAT [ also beer:sad: I did and lost a lot of weight quickly. A stone in a month with the no dairy regime, I haven't eaten meat in years but it is not very healthy eaten every day.

We [ most of us ] know that we eat too much, remove temptation by not buying crisps, biscuits and those treats and then leaving them around the place to be grazed on at quiet boring moments. , get fruit in, have a cup of tea [ semi skimmed in it if you must... ] and be healthy... for goodness sakes:tongue:

My weight today 11 stone exactly [ before breakfast in me pants ] I am half a stone over my ideal and have a small pot belly. 5'8" in my socks.....

If you can't climb a tree you are too fat..... and the wolves will eat you....

jimboalee

bonk man said:
Quick enough not to be called a slow coach and always get sent off first on a club 10 mile time trial..... If you are knocking off 10 miles in 30 minutes that is a reasonable level of cycling fitness so well done. . by the way, Sunday is not a rest day, it is club ride day:smile:

I don't think I have lurked on this thread yet so here is my contribution, and I have said it before about losing weight; GIVE UP DAIRY AND MEAT [ also beer:sad: I did and lost a lot of weight quickly. A stone in a month with the no dairy regime, I haven't eaten meat in years but it is not very healthy eaten every day.

We [ most of us ] know that we eat too much, remove temptation by not buying crisps, biscuits and those treats and then leaving them around the place to be grazed on at quiet boring moments. , get fruit in, have a cup of tea [ semi skimmed in it if you must... ] and be healthy... for goodness sakes:tongue:

My weight today 11 stone exactly [ before breakfast in me pants ] I am half a stone over my ideal and have a small pot belly. 5'8" in my socks.....

If you can't climb a tree you are too fat..... and the wolves will eat you....

11 stone at 5'8".

What is your fat%? If it is acceptable - 10 to 14%, you should be thinking about putting on some muscle mass. 4lb on each leg wouldn't go un-noticed.

Top Bottom