Weight Watchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I recently bought a heavy duty crane scale off Amazon and thought it would be interesting to weigh my fleet

First the Brompton, a 1995 M3L 11.8kgs

Then my 2012 Raleigh Ti replica. Reynolds 525 frame and Campag Veloce groupset 9.7kgs

Van Nicholas titanium with Ultegra and Dura Ace groupset, with mudguards and pannier rack 10kgs

Ribble Carbon Fibre with Ultegra groupset 7.9kgs

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Biggest surprise Ribble EM2 with Campag Mirage groupset 8kgs

Eurus wheelset made a big weight difference.

Specialized Epic XTR and Sram XO groupset 11.4kgs

Giant Trance Advanced Carbon with XT and XTR groupset 12.5kgs

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Weighing the bikes is something we've done after every build or purchase. Our heaviest is my son's Carlton Corsa at 11kg, with the lightest being his PlanetX Nanolight hillclimb bike at 5.4kg.

mattobrien

Guru
Interestingly, I ordered some hanging scales today with a view of doing something similar, so look forward to being able to add in my fleet and their respective weights.

That said, being based in a flat part of the world, weight is less of an issue compared to hillier parts, although that doesn't stop the weightweenie in me from trying.

Weighed my Scott CR1 today 7kg without mounts, cages & pedals, 7.5 with and it’s currently sporting mid range wheels which add 600g vs my hand built climbing wheels, potentially could make it sub 6kg for hill climbs

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Wow that is light, what’s the spec?

My 16yo specced and built it with my support last year as he couldn't race due to cancellations. I gave him a £600 budget without wheels and he spent £900 overall:
  • PlanetX Nanolight 54cm frame,
  • Dura-Ace 9000 RH and 9070 Di2 LH shifters - the LH acts as a brake only,
  • Dura-Ace 9000 rear derailleur with titanium jockey wheels, SRAM Red 11-28 11 speed cassette, KMC X11SL chain,
  • Aerozine bottom bracket, Rotor crank with single carbon chainring (he can run 36-44 chainrings) and Dura-Ace 9000 pedals,
  • 1100g carbon tubular 50mm wheels and Vittoria Evo CS front plus Continental Pro-LTD rear tyres and Aerozine titanium skewers,
  • Specialized Ruby bars, Chinese seatpost, Chinese 80g saddle, Relic stem, Aerozine seatpost clamp,
  • PlanetX Nanolight brakes with lightweight pads and pad holders, Clarks lightweight cable outer gear/brake cables with lightweight inners,
  • Tape strips rather than handlebar tape, Lightweight bottle cage, RSP front chain catcher which has been drilled.

DSCF7020.JPG

Last year it was 5.5kg with a Dura-Ace 9000 cassette and it's been swapped to a SRAM Red one to save 60g. We've also cured the habit it had of wheelie-ing off the line on a hillclimb. The brake hoods are coming off as well for heat-shrink plastic, which will save a further 30g. We could sand the lacquer and decals off, which would save about 150g, but that leaves unprotected carbon or a thin lacquer coat needed - he decided against it.

The downside? It's got a really low rider weight limit - at our guess it's 60kg. But he's 53 kg so we're fine.

The aim is to replace it with a Ridley Helium SL frame as Ridley are his team sponsor, but that'll depend on finding one in XS/S at a very low price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom