Weird post edit box behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Double posting seems to be a problem everyone is having this morning! Even me.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm ... The jumping cursor problem has been driving me mad. I have been putting it down to the combination of XenForo and Opera, but then it started happening today when I was composing a Hotmail email in the Chrome browser!

Ok, that seemed much more likely to be a hardware problem. I found a video on YouTube showing me how to get the keyboard out of my laptop so I decided to check that the connectors were pushed in correctly. I only went and slipped with a screwdriver and tore one tiny track in the keyboard ribbon cable! :cursing:

So, now I have a keyboard with a jumping cursor, and the broken track seems to have affected only one key - the right arrow key. You don't realise how often you use the right arrow key until it stops working! It is incredibly annoying to have to drop back to a trackpad or mouse to move the cursor to the right ... It isn't so bad when I want to go to the end of what I am typing because I can use the End key for that, but moving one character or word at a time is now a faff. (And of course, the jumping cursor problem means that I keep having to move it back to where it was before it jumped!)

The tracks in the cable are so fine that I doubt that I could repair it without risking causing even more damage, and anyway, I have mislaid my soldering iron. I decided that the best thing to do was to buy a replacement keyboard, and that might also fix the cursor problem. I found a company on eBay doing new D430 keyboards for £11.99 and was just about to order one, when my stepdaughter texted me asking if there was anything I fancied for Christmas so that's that one sorted for now! :laugh:

Hopefully, the replacement keyboard will work perfectly.
I just got a call from stepsprog ... She was concerned that the new keyboard might not be the right one so I described what it should look like. All is well. Except that the new one does not include the cables ...! :whistle::laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Double posting for me this afternoon.

Clicking 'post reply' once apparently does nothing, clicking it again produces a double post.

Yep, managed 2 come novels so far as well.
OT.....

When I had my big crash, I read the entire Sharp series by Bernard Cornwell (or rather the series as it was at the time)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I just got a call from stepsprog ... She was concerned that the new keyboard might not be the right one so I described what it should look like. All is well. Except that the new one does not include the cables ...! :whistle::laugh:
It turned out she did not realise that I meant ribbon cables. She did not associate the word 'cables' with flat pieces of plastic with flat strips of metal embedded in them!

photo.JPG

All is well, or at least I hope it will be once the replacement keyboard has been put in, after Christmas.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think I have finally worked out what is going on ...

I use a mouse on the laptop and had the machine set up to disable the trackpad and horrid Dell 'keyboard joystick' whenever the mouse is plugged in. Somehow, the driver for the touchpad has uninstalled itself and the touchpad has now defaulted to working at the same time as the mouse. Sometimes when I am typing, the palms of my hands are brushing against the touchpad (or my fingers doing the same to the joystick) and moving the cursor!

I am going to reinstall the driver and then disable the trackpad and joystick again. I bet that will fix my original problem. All I have to do then is to replace the keyboard after Christmas to sort out the 'screwdriver through the keyboard cable' fault created by yours truly's clumsiness ... (DAMN! :laugh:)

PS Driver now reinstalled and unwanted hardware disabled. Let's see if that fixes my problem. Some people in this Dell support thread suggest that the problem is trickier than that ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It turned out she did not realise that I meant ribbon cables. She did not associate the word 'cables' with flat pieces of plastic with flat strips of metal embedded in them!

View attachment 74828

All is well, or at least I hope it will be once the replacement keyboard has been put in, after Christmas.
That's better ... The new keyboard is in and working perfectly. It feels nice typing on the pristine replacement keyboard. I didn't realise that the old one was getting so grubby until I compared the two!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's better ... The new keyboard is in and working perfectly. It feels nice typing on the pristine replacement keyboard. I didn't realise that the old one was getting so grubby until I compared the two!
I have had over 2 weeks using the new keyboard and with the laptop trackpad disabled - no more jumping cursor problems! :smile:

Top Bottom