Weird/strange things that become collectors items.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just skimmed through this thread and spotted some trainers in the video that were my lads, I use them for gardening.

I have quite a few old digital cameras and old mobiles, I have often wondered if these will become collectable.
Odd how one's own collectibles are never the sought after ones of immense value :scratch:

Drago

Legendary Member
I love it when someone takes something obscure onto the Antiques Roadshow expecting to be told it's worth 20 gees, but discovering it's only worth 50 sovs, or even that it's a worthless fake. The looks on their faces as they try to hide the disappointment is priceless. "Oh, well we'd never sell it" they'd say - well, you won't now thats for sure!

Most value is from rarity, so mint pocket watches are low value as they exists in their thousands in drawers around the land - never see light of day, don't get used and damaged or lost, but fragile plastic disposable McD toys are however much rarer by being used/abused/binned so are worth serious money for a 'free' toy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I love it when someone takes something obscure onto the Antiques Roadshow expecting to be told it's worth 20 gees, but discovering it's only worth 50 sovs, or even that it's a worthless fake. The looks on their faces as they try to hide the disappointment is priceless. "Oh, well we'd never sell it" they'd say - well, you won't now thats for sure!
A member of the Scottish side of my family took her favourite piece of furniture along and was told that the 'insurance value' was [a large sum, I can't remember how much but it was] many thousands of pounds. She got it insured for that and kept it!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Years ago, somebody our company had professional dealings with at work was quite high up in a large government organisation, and was very good technically too, a bit of a rarity.
He packed it in to devote his life to running a group of early phone card collectors.

Top Bottom