Weird tyre damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was just about to go out for a ride with my friend tonight when she rang to say she had a flat tyre (and no spare tube, so she stayed at home). I went round later, and out of curiousity tried to work out what had caused the puncture. Looking at the tyre, there is about a two inch tear on the that seam bit, just where the seam usually sits on the rim, with the tube exposed underneath. In fact, it looks like the seam has simply come apart, you can peel it open now... There are no sharp bits on the rims as far as I can see/feel and she hasn't scraped the tyre against anything, also these tyres have only done about 300miles (they are continental ones, so not complete cheap cr@p), what could have caused this? Is it just a one of dodgy tyre fault or is there something more sinister going on?

I've had the same problem with Continental tyres before. I used to get this with a Top Tourer on the rear of my commuter. There was always loads of tread left, but the sidewall would be shot in three or four places. Nothing was rubbing on the frame or anything and I never carried too much weight (apart from my own 14 stone). I don't use Contis any more.

02GF74

Über Member
from your description i think i know what you mean.

I've had this and reckon it is due to the side wall rubbing on the edge of the rim; but why it happned on that particualr tyre, I wasn;t able to fathom - thjink the tyre was on for quitea long time and maybe it was underinflated?

(mountain bike BTW whcih have much wider tyres on relatively narrow rims)

yello

Does your friend check her tyre pressures? Could it be wear due to tyres being too soft and tyre walls rubbing on the rim?

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
No, they were up to 60 (with a max of 65 allowed), so that can't be it... Suppose it's a good job it happened now rather than on the way to Amsterdam, bikes are going in for a service tomorrow anyway and she will get some new slicks put on then...Still very annoying as it means buying a new knobbly, can't see tyres being covered by warranty somehow...

I suspect it's the brake block rubbing on t'tyre that's done it, easy to do if the wheel isn't installed straight in the drop-outs.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
mickle said:
I suspect it's the brake block rubbing on t'tyre that's done it, easy to do if the wheel isn't installed straight in the drop-outs.

Why would it only be doing it in one spot though, shouldn't the whole side of the tyre be worn then? If that is it, then the bike shop must have put it in wrong when she bought it, cause the wheel has never been taken out. ;)

sjb

punkypossum said:
Why would it only be doing it in one spot though, shouldn't the whole side of the tyre be worn then? If that is it, then the bike shop must have put it in wrong when she bought it, cause the wheel has never been taken out. ;)

Wheel could be warped, that would explain only one spot being affected - it wouldn't take much.

I had a clip from one of my mudguards rubbing on the tyre for a few days without realising (it was "inside" the mudguard (does that make sense?) and it wrecked the tyre completely.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
sjb said:
Wheel could be warped, that would explain only one spot being affected - it wouldn't take much.

I had a clip from one of my mudguards rubbing on the tyre for a few days without realising (it was "inside" the mudguard (does that make sense?) and it wrecked the tyre completely.

Funnily enough, one of the spokes looks bent - could that be related then?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i once had a tyre blow out just after a visit from you-know-who, i had put the tyre on with a bit of the beading off the rim. screech screech bang. one blown tyre and exactly the damage described in the op.

Danny

Legendary Member
punkypossum said:
Funnily enough, one of the spokes looks bent - could that be related then?
Yes!

Sounds like you should get your wheel checked by your LBS before your charity ride.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Dannyg said:
Yes!

Sounds like you should get your wheel checked by your LBS before your charity ride.

Like I said, both bikes are going in for a service tomorrow, so hopefully they will be able to sort it out. Fortunately, it's not my wheel, but my friend is now panicking about a giant lbs bill...Thing is, I'm pretty sure the bike was like this when she bought it, but it's going to be impossible to prove...

Top Bottom