Weird tyre damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
If the wheel only needs truing, and perhaps a spoke replacing, it should not cost that much.

If the tyre has been badly torn by the brake she may need a new one. But again your LBS should be able to advise.

If the bike is relatively new and she hasn't adjusted the brakes since, she could certainly argue that the wear on the tyre was a result of poor setup.

Also I would not expect a spoke on a new wheel to have bent. So unless your friend has been in an accident, or kicked it in frustration, this is really a sign of a poorly built wheel, and your LBS should put it right.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
She only bought the bike in January, has done about 300 miles on it with no crashes and not adjusted anything on it. The tyre is shredded in that bit, that's definitely ready for the bin...:wacko:

Unless she has kicked it since last night, she hasn't taken her frustration out on it either...

Danny

Legendary Member
In which case the shop should definitely put most of the problems right at their cost.

However they might argue that your friend should have noticed that her tyre was being shredded and thus should have brought the bike in earlier. If so a compromise would be for the shop to sort out the wheel and brakes, and your friend to offer to pay for a new tyre.

sjb said:
Wheel could be warped, that would explain only one spot being affected - it wouldn't take much.

I had a clip from one of my mudguards rubbing on the tyre for a few days without realising (it was "inside" the mudguard (does that make sense?) and it wrecked the tyre completely.

This definitely wasn't the problem with my Conti sidewalls. I had two or three tyres go the same way on two different bikes, both of which were set up properly and not rubbing anywhere.

Top Bottom