Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m reading a report in the paper that only 37% of Highland residents are comfortable with tourists returning this year, this rises to 67% if the tourists came only from Scotland. The comfort level drops to 10% in the islands. Various hotel owners are reporting that people are cancelling their reservations because they are concerned about the reception they will receive. Do people here have any experiences that refute/back up these stories, ie since accommodation was reopened ? I have a booking of a cottage in the Highlands myself in the coming weeks so I’m a bit apprehensive, especially given that I am English.

Slick

Guru
Forget the English thing, our islands are very welcoming and some pure and simply rely on visitors to keep them going.

You do have to be very mindful of how you behave when you get there, much like anywhere else but there are additional considerations like their inability to deal with any kind of outbreak and one doctor on Barra has received a couple of requests from vulnerable individuals to see if they could book a ventilator and he had to explain the nearest ventilator is a 5 hour steam away on the mainland. Don't go to the outer hebrides if you are vulnerable but a weekend in Arran is perfect right now as long as you follow the rules. :okay:

Jimidh

Veteran
I didn’t think you will have an issue as I’m sure you are sensible and will abide by social distancing, masks in shops etc.

As above the rural areas of Scotland would have their difficulties providing a full medical response should there be a full blown outbreak in that area so you should be mindful of the real concerns of the local population.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The mainly elderly population of Luss on the west banks of Loch Lomond were, quite rightly, being less than welcoming to the nobheads who descended on them as soon as there was a slight relaxation of the lock down rules. This was at the time when it was still supposedly "stay at home, essential journeys only" but a few exceptions had been thrown into the mix. Cue the "do what we like brigade" who were out in force. My home town on the Clyde coast got it's fair share too.
As for the current situation, I don't think ANYWHERE wants to see massive crowds descending on them, but that's not likely to be the case in the Highlands due to lack of accommodation anyway. It is a rapidly changing situation just as it is everywhere though, and an outbreak in any area is likely to lessen the welcoming attitude. As per the new normal, it's going to be a bit of a gamble if you decide to travel.

Brandane

Legendary Member
especially given that I am English.
Welcome to the Highlands!

1595149908713.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sorry, slight thread diversion.

But midge forecast for Cairngorms early September, please..

I'd be quite happy not to have a welcoming party from them..

Promise to stay well socially distanced in the hills, only emerging to spend oodles of cash (contactless payment I mean) on resupply, in your local shops.. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
View attachment 536846

Each one of them with this attitude:

View attachment 536847

Actually, the Cairngorms isn't nearly as bad as the west coast. Midges love mild, damp, still conditions. The Cairngorms are too cold, windy, and dry for them!

Yes that was my hope, and is the theory, regarding an expedition on the Eastern side for September..

But not sure if its a case of hope over reality,

They seem to be arriving earlier each spring, so wasn't sure if the old truths still stand.

Will leave the west til October, just to be on the safe side I think, :bicycle:

Unless lockdown resumes by then - of course.

So many unknowns :sad:

Slick

Guru
Yes that was my hope, and is the theory, regarding an expedition on the Eastern side for September..

But not sure if its a case of hope over reality,

They seem to be arriving earlier each spring, so wasn't sure if the old truths still stand.

Will leave the west til October, just to be on the safe side I think, :bicycle:

Unless lockdown resumes by then - of course.

So many unknowns :sad:
The midge will be waiting. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
I shall have my smidge, and head net at the ready.

If it weresent for the midge (and the weather) I imagine The Highlands would have been ruined years back - so we have to be grateful in some ways I spose :rolleyes:
I did a through the night blast from Tyndrum to Fort William last Friday night and as we were going through Ballachulish my brother asked me to stop to take his jacket off and the second we did, they were on us in a flash. Quite sure we did the rest of the ride n double quick time to stay ahead of them. :eek:

Top Bottom