Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Damn, really? Good job I have a plentiful supply of the 'old' formula.
I used to use it as I worked outside in deepest darkest Argyll often and it's murder down there, although I was that plastered in the stuff I think the midges drowned when they came near me and I looked as if I'd been wet dashed on some days. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
Can't seem to find anything online about it and it did come via a friend who camps a lot, so would maybe need to confirm that.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I did a through the night blast from Tyndrum to Fort William last Friday night and as we were going through Ballachulish my brother asked me to stop to take his jacket off and the second we did, they were on us in a flash. Quite sure we did the rest of the ride n double quick time to stay ahead of them. :eek:

Yes if you ride, or even walk quick enough, you can stay ahead of em.. But you do have to stop, and rest at some point.

Reminds me there's a teensy tiny hole in the inner tent, that let a few in last time..

Kit check in order I think.

AndyRM

XOXO
SSS, is OK if a bit gloopy, but 'Smidge' is better for midge repelling - and free of nasty chemicals..

Still I'll bet you've got silky smooth calves all the same :rolleyes:

Never actually heard of 'Smidge', though I've not looked for an alternative to SSS (which if you reckon is gloopy then it sounds like it must have changed - mine definitely isn't).

Half planning a camping trip for September just now, so I may investigate.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Never actually heard of 'Smidge', though I've not looked for an alternative to SSS (which if you reckon is gloopy then it sounds like it must have changed - mine definitely isn't).

Half planning a camping trip for September just now, so I may investigate.
Well SSS mainly works through drowning the blighters in an oil slick, doesn't it..

Smidge works for sure..

It's available online, and in just about any shop, large or small in the Highlands - that tells you something.

See you in September then..
I'll be wearing a yellow carnation as ever :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
Well SSS mainly works through drowning the blighters in an oil slick, doesn't it..

Smidge works for sure..

It's available online, and in just about any shop, large or small in the Highlands - that tells you something.

See you in September then..
I'll be wearing a yellow carnation as ever :okay:

I'm starting to wonder if I've been using something completely different...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Apparently they have changed the recipe and it no longer works.
Damn, really? Good job I have a plentiful supply of the 'old' formula.
I use the "new" formula stuff for working outside in an area highly populated by the dreaded midge, and it does work!
I had heard/read of the change in formula stories too, but found no noticeable difference.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I use the "new" formula stuff for working outside in an area highly populated by the dreaded midge, and it does work!
I had heard/read of the change in formula stories too, but found no noticeable difference.

Oh that's interesting, maybe I'll try a bit of both this time.

I did like the 'slap it on all over' part of SSS.

Keeps the skin in nice condition, in case of any fraternising :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Back to the original question. As others have said you are welcome so long as you obey the rules in Scotland and do not try the "but I am English and we do not have to do this". There are some anecdotal reports of people using this to avoid using a mask in shops. On the Oban to Craignure ferry it is reported that most tourists do not wear masks indoors as they are supposed to. Calmac apparently can only advise but cannot refuse entry or even chuck them overboard which some advocate.
Since we have remained mostly virus free there is real concern that infection may be introduced as we have no idea where these people are coming from and the non mask wearing means that the welcome is rather muted and in some cases hostile.
We also have ferocious midges and cleggs are bad this year and can give a really nasty bite if you do not feel them landing.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Back to the original question. As others have said you are welcome so long as you obey the rules in Scotland and do not try the "but I am English and we do not have to do this". There are some anecdotal reports of people using this to avoid using a mask in shops. On the Oban to Craignure ferry it is reported that most tourists do not wear masks indoors as they are supposed to. Calmac apparently can only advise but cannot refuse entry or even chuck them overboard which some advocate.
Since we have remained mostly virus free there is real concern that infection may be introduced as we have no idea where these people are coming from and the non mask wearing means that the welcome is rather muted and in some cases hostile.
We also have ferocious midges and cleggs are bad this year and can give a really nasty bite if you do not feel them landing.

You have my permission to tip any inglishers caught misbehaving unceremoniously overboard - we really don't need those sorts infesting the place - and giving the rest of us a bad name :stop:

Your cleggs are on a par with our horseflies - at least if you do feel them land there's a good chance of swatting the barstewards before they tuck in.

Its my theory that a lot of traditional country folk dancing originated from trying to swat the the beggars - whilst simultaneously avoiding scything yourself off at the ankles :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You have my permission to tip any inglishers caught misbehaving unceremoniously overboard - we really don't need those sorts infesting the place - and giving the rest of us a bad name :stop:

Your cleggs are on a par with our horseflies - at least if you do feel them land there's a good chance of swatting the barstewards before they tuck in.

Its my theory that a lot of traditional country folk dancing originated from trying to swat the the beggars - whilst simultaneously avoiding scything yourself off at the ankles :sad:
I think clegg is a Scottish name for English horsefly. Wonder why it seems a common surname in parts of Yorkshire. Is there a connection there somewhere?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll be through western Scotland on a bike in May next year, I can wait until then. I'll be self catering on the east coast this August though while my wife and daughter distance visit their dad / grandpa. We'll be fully respectful of local guidelines and will keep ourselves out of the way of others.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think clegg is a Scottish name for English horsefly. Wonder why it seems a common surname in parts of Yorkshire. Is there a connection there somewhere?

Who knows, or maybe it's the other way round??

Maybe The Family "Clegg" were known for being vicious blood thirsty sorts, so the bitey fly was named for them.

Anyhow you're all a terrible influence, as I've only gone and booked a train to Montrose, for September now :blush:

Top Bottom