Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Forget the English thing, our islands are very welcoming and some pure and simply rely on visitors to keep them going.

one doctor on Barra has received a couple of requests from vulnerable individuals to see if they could book a ventilator and he had to explain the nearest ventilator is a 5 hour steam away on the mainland.

More likely a 30 minute helicopter ride, it seems their immediate action for anything complicated is get rid of they to either Glasgow or Inverness as quick as possible.

Slick

Guru
More likely a 30 minute helicopter ride, it seems their immediate action for anything complicated is get rid of they to either Glasgow or Inverness as quick as possible.
Not just the islands but from personal bitter experience I know the whole process can sometimes take much longer than that. :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Who knows, or maybe it's the other way round??

Maybe The Family "Clegg" were known for being vicious blood thirsty sorts, so the bitey fly was named for them.

Anyhow you're all a terrible influence, as I've only gone and booked a train to Montrose, for September now :blush:
Passed through Montrose often but never stopped there. Forfar was where I often stopped as there are some nice quiet back roads around there but also some busy fast ones I avoided. Since I have sold my motorhome I am unlikely to be back but I there should be a suitable tent site further north I hope. Sites on the east coast tend to be full of static caravans but there must be some tent ones. The Moray Firth coast is my own preference.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Passed through Montrose often but never stopped there. Forfar was where I often stopped as there are some nice quiet back roads around there but also some busy fast ones I avoided. Since I have sold my motorhome I am unlikely to be back but I there should be a suitable tent site further north I hope. Sites on the east coast tend to be full of static caravans but there must be some tent ones. The Moray Firth coast is my own preference.

Well Montrose, is just somewhere to alight from the train tbh.

Arriving just early enough to be able to skedaddle west into the Gorms for a first nights camp..

No disrespect to Montrose, I'm sure it's delightful, but if was sweet seaside towns I was after, I could stay right here.

Tis them proper hills that are a calling :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Our elderly friends on the Uists have asked-us kindly not to visit (even in our self-contained Moho) in the short-term, the locals there really do not want visitors for fear of CV19.

Ahhh,

It must be bliss there right now.

Covid worries notwithstanding.

Or unless you're reliant on the tourist trade for income of course.

Coming back from the Western Isles always makes Skye feel ridiculously busy..

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Looks more like Greenock to me. :laugh:
Oi!
that's enough..
Louisville Slugger for you, I think....

If going to the Outer Hebrides esp Barra, book everything ahead....

I mean everything, B&B, any food (except a ventilator)
I was assured the beastie was dying back the night I stayed on Barra and I got mass attacked:laugh:(beginning of September), it did get easier the further N i travelled, lovely cycle though....
and the local rin tin tin isn't bad..

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
the welcome is rather muted and in some cases hostile
Yes that’s exactly my concern. Earlier in the year there were reports of NHS workers’ cars being vandalised whilst parked outside holiday homes that the workers were using as isolation accommodation. That particular tension settled down after a while but is it now being reignited ? Sounds like there’s every danger that it is.

Slick

Guru
Yes that’s exactly my concern. Earlier in the year there were reports of NHS workers’ cars being vandalised whilst parked outside holiday homes that the workers were using as isolation accommodation. That particular tension settled down after a while but is it now being reignited ? Sounds like there’s every danger that it is.
Get yourself over to whichever island you fancy and just be mindful of the rules and everyone will be fine. 👍

Slick

Guru
Islay must be the friendliest, waving at every car coming off that boat must get tiresome after a while with Tiree a close second but would take me far too long to explain why. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
i think that was any isolated incident and not typical. Calmac staff and skippers use motorhomes and the last time I travelled I noticed one had a large Calmac notice on his windscreen. The local FB pages also had notice that essential staff were using motorhomes and were not tourists. Our local hospital had a motorhome in the car park but it was soon known that it was essential staff.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Islay must be the friendliest, waving at every car coming off that boat must get tiresome after a while with Tiree a close second but would take me far too long to explain why. :okay:

If you live there you just raise a finger off the steering wheel to other local traffic. Only tourists wave.

Slick

Guru
i think that was any isolated incident and not typical. Calmac staff and skippers use motorhomes and the last time I travelled I noticed one had a large Calmac notice on his windscreen. The local FB pages also had notice that essential staff were using motorhomes and were not tourists. Our local hospital had a motorhome in the car park but it was soon known that it was essential staff.
My brother in law works for calmac on the Coruisk and reports that there are now lots if visitors back on the move now. Camper Van's are getting a bit of a bad rep for maybe not following all the rules.

Top Bottom